News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Savonarola on April 07, 2016, 08:51:10 AM
Done with the lab work (:(); but what I found might be of some interest to the Languish armchair physicists.

The unit we had under test is an electronic filter.  The unit is going in a locomotive; so it must be tested to handle the vibrations of a running train.  We run two types of test, random vibrations and sinusoidal vibrations.  We did the random first; the unit rattled like it was going break throughout the entire test and the electronic pattern of the filter was distorted the entire time.  Then we did the sinusoidal pattern; which is the vibrations are done in a simple sine wave and the frequency slowly changes.  At first there was nothing, but then as we got to 80 Hz the unit again started rattling.  Something in the unit has a resonant frequency around 90 Hz and that is what is causing the unit to rattle (and the pattern to distort).  The reason that we always heard a rattling when we did the random vibrations is that the "Random" vibrations are composed are a series of sine waves (in fact any wave pattern can be modeled as an infinite series of sine waves.)  At least one of the varying sine waves in the random pattern must have contained something near the resonant frequency.

I haven't done anything with resonance since sophomore physics 25 years ago.  It was interesting to see it again.

Vibe tests are fun, but loud as hell.  The audio rejection test on the DC power supply I used to work on was neat, too.  You could actually hear the noise when the frequencies got into the kilohertz range.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2016, 01:15:53 PM
And another feel good story for the day.  :cool:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/07/after-anal-rape-leftist-felt-despair-that-his-somalian-attacker-was-deported/

Breitbart, Martinus? :yeahright:

After Slate, the most talked about news source on the forum. Even though Raz is/was the only one who reads it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/07/after-anal-rape-leftist-felt-despair-that-his-somalian-attacker-was-deported/

I am not reading that shit. But from my experience rape victims do get a bit of Stockholm syndrome sometimes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2016, 03:20:54 PM

I am not reading that shit. But from my experience rape victims do get a bit of Stockholm syndrome sometimes.

Umm, what experience do you have with rape victims?

In particular, what experience do you have with male rape victims?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 03:22:56 PM

My time working with sexually abused teenage boys. Haven't I talked about that many times before? I guess it has been awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2016, 03:33:56 PM

My time working with sexually abused teenage boys. Haven't I talked about that many times before? I guess it has been awhile.

That does sound vaguely familiar, now that you mention it. :hmm:

lustindarkness

So on my break I was looking around on YouTube, and I decided to see what I have missed on The Late Show the last few days (I sometimes fall asleep halfway) and Baby Metal made their US TV debut on his show the other day. Well shit, I don't know what the fuck that was, but I kinda sorta liked it. I may link it later, not on my phone right now.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

First discovered them 2 years ago.
It's basically just heavy metal themed manufactured j pop. Kind of cunning really since both idol groups and heavy metal have a very nerd heavy fan base
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2016, 03:33:56 PM

:face:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2016, 03:18:26 PM
Would you eat a sandwich described as being made of "ocean meat"?

What about one made of "land meat"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/arbys-ocean-meat-mmm_us_56faac0ce4b0143a9b495256

:lol:

The word for fish in Korean literally translates into water meat.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2016, 09:11:04 AM

Huh. I guess US Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Harrison, McKinley, Taft, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover weren't cool enough to hang with the other Republican Presidents.

That is a stupid fucking painting.  Neither Bush belongs in that.