News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

He'd be good for a museum art and antiquities.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

Great story.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2016, 02:13:20 PM

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

:lmfao:

The Brain

The dwarf was inside the house!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

This is stupid. Obviously the guy is going for a Himmler look.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 15, 2016, 10:22:41 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 15, 2016, 03:46:22 AM
The conversations today wound up with us planning a gold panning holiday in the 4x4.

My wife is pretty cool sometimes, but damn. Camping in places and panning for gold is quite a lot her and not even a little bit me. It could be fun though.

Sounds cool, where at if I may ask?

We haven't decided yet, but she's scouring the internet. There's a place called Gold Canyon near Dayton that's not far away. We actually met a guy panning right in the Truckee in downtown Reno a while back. He had a tackle box full of metals he'd found. I think she's been wanting to do it since then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

It sounds like the kind of thing that would be fun to do for about 10 minutes.

Barrister

If you're going to go gold panning, you better do it right.  Dawson City, the heart of the Klondike.  There are still commercial operations out there doing placer gold mining.

Depending on your level of interest... there is Claim 6.  It's owned by the tourist association and it is free for anybody to come and do gold panning.  This is right in the heart of gold country so there is gold to be found.  There are a few different places you can buy your gold pan, or even a sluice box depending on how elaborate you want to get.

There are also a couple of other claims that will let you come onto their property and try your own hand at gold mining.  They will charge you something for it, but of course any gold you find you keep!

But be careful because this is actual mining territory, and all the creeks are claimed by someone or another.  You can't just start wandering around the woods and pan wherever you feel like.  You risk running into a very angry placer miner.  I've prosecuted up there, and those placer miners are an odd sort - you don't want to piss them off by claim jumping.

Beyond that... it's a fantastically beautiful drive up there
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2016, 04:34:40 PM

To be fair, that was my experience at Claim 6.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2016, 04:34:40 PM

Yes, and that's exactly how I expect it to go.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses.

So is there more gravity on Friday evenings 45 minutes before signing off work? Because time sure fucking slows down!  :wacko:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 15, 2016, 05:35:28 PM
In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses.

So is there more gravity on Friday evenings 45 minutes before signing off work? Because time sure fucking slows down!  :wacko:

That is some heavy stuff for a Friday afternoon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 15, 2016, 05:35:28 PM

Is there a movie shoot nearby?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

:D <----BTW, in slow motion.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Now time has just stopped, like the traffic on the expressway I can see from the window. <_< I don't even know why I'm in a hurry to get out of here, it might take a while to get home. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom