News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 14, 2016, 01:50:07 PM
I guess it's a dig at the supposedly unintelligible Danish.
There is nothing supposedly about the unintelligibility of the Danish language.  I don't think I ever understood a single Danish word.

Syt

After looking at the Danish article on the number 90 it appears that the graphic is actually correct.  :hmm:

Quote90 (Halvfems) er:

Det naturlige tal efter 89, derefter følger 91
Et heltal
Halvfems kommer af halvfemsindstyve, en sammensætning af halvfemte (der betyder 4½, ligesom halvanden betyder 1½), sinde (gang) og tyve, altså egentlig '4½ gange tyve'.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 14, 2016, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
Wow I did not think it was possible to say 97 in a more weird and nonsensical way than the Francophones do it.

Wrong word here Valmy, Francophones of Belgium or Switzerland (Romands) say it in a perfectly logical way, as the other Romance speakers: nonante-sept.   :contract:

I am talking about real French not some regional patois :P

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2016, 02:44:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 14, 2016, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
Wow I did not think it was possible to say 97 in a more weird and nonsensical way than the Francophones do it.

Wrong word here Valmy, Francophones of Belgium or Switzerland (Romands) say it in a perfectly logical way, as the other Romance speakers: nonante-sept.   :contract:

I am talking about real French not some regional patois :P

About time you brush up your jacobine street cred, could be more convincing though. ;)
There are far worse French dialects, not to mention specific instances of it. The ones I mentioned actually make sense and are not rejected by the Académie.
C+.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 14, 2016, 02:51:06 PM
About time you brush up your jacobine street cred, could be more convincing though. ;)
There are far worse French dialects, not to mention specific instances of it. The ones I mentioned actually make sense and are not rejected by the Académie.
C+.

How did you know my grade in French I? :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

It's just a past grade. :gallic shrug:

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2016, 01:42:52 PM
Liep, is this true? Damn northerners and your innate math skills.

They got the Frenchies right, so I guess that's how Danes do it...

The German makes less sense than the Swedish, so it should not have the same smilie.

Jacob

... and really, there's no difference between the Swedish and the Japanese. They're both "nine tens".

Liep

That's true. Only, young people wouldn't pronounce the twenty.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2016, 04:19:09 PM
That's true. Only, young people wouldn't pronounce the twenty.

Woah. That is so hip.

Liep

Young here would be 50 and below. ;)

Halvfems or halvfemsindstyve. Makes sense to choose the shorter versions

There is reason behind the madness, it's half between 4*20 and 5*20.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Danish is a horrible, horrible language.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on January 14, 2016, 04:44:49 PM
Danish is a horrible, horrible language.

And that is why I like it.

Admiral Yi

Is that seriously the way you say 97 in Lego?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████