News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Read in the Economist that in Canada a woman can get "up to" 50 weeks of paid maternity leave. :blink:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2016, 03:01:24 PM
Read in the Economist that in Canada a woman can get "up to" 50 weeks of paid maternity leave. :blink:

Yup. Their choice. In theory some of that can be taken by the dad as well (and the mom then gives up some of that). Essentially you get EI (unemployment insurance). In 2015 the max EI rate was $524 per week, though your rate is calculated as a percentage of your income last year.

Some employers will top that up so you end up with your regular salary for a certain period, though I haven't heard of it being more than three months (and often it's offered as an incentive to not take the full 50 weeks).

My wife took close to the full amount when we had our son, for example.

MadImmortalMan

So you can both take six months then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Yep, I have had many Canadian colleagues disappear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 13, 2016, 03:08:59 PM
So you can both take six months then.

The split is 15 weeks maternity, 35 weeks parental - with the parental being split up however you like. So in theory that father could take off longer than the mother.

Usually income considerations means that the higher paid spouse keeps working.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2016, 03:07:26 PM

Yup. Their choice. In theory some of that can be taken by the dad as well (and the mom then gives up some of that). Essentially you get EI (unemployment insurance). In 2015 the max EI rate was $524 per week, though your rate is calculated as a percentage of your income last year.

Some employers will top that up so you end up with your regular salary for a certain period, though I haven't heard of it being more than three months (and often it's offered as an incentive to not take the full 50 weeks).

and in Quebec it's even more money! (up to 75% of ~65k)

When My daughter was born I took 20 weeks (the both parents total is 55 weeks), while my GF took 35 weeks.

For my son, she took 40 weeks, I took 7.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

not sure what the :blink: is for.  The payments come out of a pool of money which is funded by employee and employer payroll contributions. 

MadImmortalMan

The name "ISIS" has passed into common parlance now, but the US administration has been very consistent in calling them "ISIL". Anyone know why? Do they want to avoid having "Syria" in the name?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2016, 03:36:19 PM

not sure what the :blink: is for.  The payments come out of a pool of money which is funded by employee and employer payroll contributions.
It's a bit inefficient, that's all.  Surely you can hire someone to bond with the baby for a fraction of your salary.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2016, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2016, 03:36:19 PM

It's a bit inefficient, that's all.  Surely you can hire someone to bond with the baby for a fraction of your salary.

:D

The perfect Yi response.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2016, 03:07:26 PM

When I was with the Feds they had an EI top up up to 90% of salary.  I took 3 months off when Timmy was born.

The other two I took two weeks, and because both were late I was back at work within days of their being born.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

This hostel is fucking boring so I'm reading news at the moment.

15 year old Danish girl who converted to Islam arrested for making bombs.

Danish Hells Angels with press release supporting refugees after Danish town said they rather want rockers than a refugee camp.

America goes lottery nuts.

Siberian cold hits Denmark this week.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk