News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2016, 03:36:19 PM
not sure what the :blink: is for.  The payments come out of a pool of money which is funded by employee and employer payroll contributions.
Maybe because in the good old US of A we have nothing even remotely close to that unless you happen to have an extremely generous employer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on January 13, 2016, 05:33:02 PM
Danish Hells Angels with press release supporting refugees after Danish town said they rather want rockers than a refugee camp.

Do you have a link to that?

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 13, 2016, 02:45:35 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 13, 2016, 08:56:57 AM

Yep.  I'd work 3 13 hour days if I could to get 4 days off.

I did that schedule for a while at a factory in Houston. I liked it a lot, actually.

For those on shift, we do alternating 3 days on/3 off/4 on/4 off, 12 hour shifts.  Flip the days/nights about every 2 months.  This doesn't include about 20-ish authorized hit days per year (to be taken as manning allows) to make up for working on would normally be federal holidays.  I think it works ok. 

derspiess

Goddamn. Every idiot in SoCal has a startup and thinks he's gonna hit it big.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2016, 11:44:34 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 13, 2016, 05:33:02 PM
Danish Hells Angels with press release supporting refugees after Danish town said they rather want rockers than a refugee camp.

Do you have a link to that?

Yeah I'd be interested in that to;I have a very progressive friend of mine who used to work with Hells Angels and he found them ... generally fine people.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2016, 01:35:11 AM
Goddamn. Every idiot in SoCal has a startup and thinks he's gonna hit it big.

Hey entrepreneurship is what made 'Murica great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/01/14/daily-mail-are-not-kangaroo-gurus/

Daily Mail:

The Poke:

QuoteYep, they went pretty big and it got 22k shares, however all is not what it seems.

Australian Museum Principal Research Scientist Dr Mark Eldridge says they're far more sinister:

There is a story behind the images, but not the anthropomorphised version of true love that has accompanied the images in publications. The male, which appears to be lovingly "cradling the head" of the female as she dies, is actually in a state of sexual arousal.

"Great photos of the kangaroos, but I think they are fundamentally misinterpreted," Dr Eldridge says.

"The male is clearly highly stressed and agitated, his forearms are very wet from him licking himself to cool down. He is also sexually aroused: the evidence is here sticking out from behind the scrotum (yes, in marsupials the penis is located behind the scrotum)."

Kangaroos are extremely sensitive to heat, says Dr Eldridge. Furthermore, the kangaroo is not, unfortunately, "propp[ing] up her head so she could see her joey before she died". Instead, says Dr Eldridge, "this is a male trying to get a female to stand up so he can mate with her."

"Eastern Grey kangaroos can breed throughout the year but mating mainly occurs in spring and early summer. The younger individual is probably the female last pouch young who may be still suckling."

Source: australianmuseum.net.au/

Nature is creepy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The Daily Mail was doing click bait before it was cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Liep, is this true? Damn northerners and your innate math skills.

They got the Frenchies right, so I guess that's how Danes do it...

Valmy

Wow I did not think it was possible to say 97 in a more weird and nonsensical way than the Francophones do it.

Syt

I guess it's a dig at the supposedly unintelligible Danish. See also this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
Wow I did not think it was possible to say 97 in a more weird and nonsensical way than the Francophones do it.

We even have more than 1 way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2016, 01:45:15 PM

Wrong word here Valmy, Francophones of Belgium or Switzerland (Romands) say it in a perfectly logical way, as the other Romance speakers: nonante-sept.   :contract: