News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2016, 02:48:30 AM
Ok. Those Danish numbers are crazy. And j thought Danish was a sensible language :(

Why on earth would you think that?

lustindarkness

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 15, 2016, 03:46:22 AM
The conversations today wound up with us planning a gold panning holiday in the 4x4.

My wife is pretty cool sometimes, but damn. Camping in places and panning for gold is quite a lot her and not even a little bit me. It could be fun though.

Sounds cool, where at if I may ask?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2016, 10:21:52 AM
Ok. Those Danish numbers are crazy. And j thought Danish was a sensible language :(

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 15, 2016, 10:22:41 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 15, 2016, 03:46:22 AM
The conversations today wound up with us planning a gold panning holiday in the 4x4.

My wife is pretty cool sometimes, but damn. Camping in places and panning for gold is quite a lot her and not even a little bit me. It could be fun though.

Sounds cool, where at if I may ask?

Yeah, definitely real 'Out and About' thread territory.

And MiM don't listen to the naysayers (Malthus) , though I did think, maybe Mrs MiM is thinking of a great place to start making babies.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

A new years resolution for the year just came to me.
In light of Bowie's death.... I will learn to play an albums worth of songs on guitar.
I shan't actually be releasing an album of course.
But just in case every musician on the planet were to suddenly die it would be good to have backup.

Like swedish but spoken in a regular non-schizophrenic voice :shrug:
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2016, 10:24:18 AM

:lol:

I worry for the Danish language. The youth is starting to mix up neuter and common genders saying "et hamster" instead of "en hamster" or giving the wrong gender to English words such as touchdown (clearly et and not en).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2016, 10:27:32 AM

A new years resolution for the year just came to me.
In light of Bowie's death.... I will learn to play an albums worth of songs on guitar.
I shan't actually be releasing an album of course.
But just in case every musician on the planet were to suddenly die it would be good to have backup.

Like swedish but spoken in a regular non-schizophrenic voice :shrug:

That would be Norwegian (bokmål, not that godforsaken nynorsk nonsense).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've seen wackier attempts to get a job, I do like his honesty.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

And he clearly has skills. I like that the district attorney is one of his references.  :lol:

lustindarkness

You have to respect that. I'm sure he will get hired.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

A man of action & a closer. He's worth the look in almost every defense related business.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2016, 01:38:50 PM
A man of action & a closer. He's worth the look in almost every defense related business.

He got caught, though.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2016, 01:44:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2016, 01:38:50 PM

He got caught, though.  ;)

One must know failure to be a great leader.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Douglas Adams:

This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I'd gotten the time of the train wrong. I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of cookies. I went and sat at a table. I want you to picture the scene. It's very important that you get this very clear in your mind. Here's the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of cookies. There's a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase. It didn't look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of cookies, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There's nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your cookies. You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know... But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do aclue in the newspaper, couldn't do anything, and thought, What am I going to do?

In the end I thought Nothing for it, I'll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a cookie for myself. I thought, That settled him. But it hadn't because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another cookie. Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice..." I mean, it doesn't really work.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight cookies, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away. Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and st back.

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.