Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2014, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 17, 2014, 05:32:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2014, 05:19:58 PM
Apparently there are strong rumours of the queen abdicating this xmas.
I dont see it

We've had the same rumours for a while, yet we still have the chain smoking old Queen and her crazy (but loveable) French husband instead of a young energetic King and a beautiful Queen.

Is public sentiment leaning towards having the young energetic King over the Queen M2?

Yes, mostly because of Princess Mary being so awesome and because M2 is increasingly incapable of performing her job because of poor health. F10 will just be an okay King though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on December 17, 2014, 05:38:02 PM
Yes, mostly because of Princess Mary being so awesome and because M2 is increasingly incapable of performing her job because of poor health. F10 will just be an okay King though.

Sad to hear about M2's failing health. I've never been much of a royalist, but M2 has done a great job and I find that I am fond of her.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2014, 05:34:56 PM
The evidence for the strength of the rumour is interesting- bookies have recieved some suspicious bets about it, just like they did for prior big royal announcments.
Alternately bookies suspend betting and receive shedloads of PR. Then get tonnes of bets in later on.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Won't ever happen, especially not this Xmas as she's only recently 'won back' her united kingdom, no thanks to her prime minister.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2014, 01:54:51 PM
Michelle Obama said she was at Target one time and someone asked her to help get something off the shelf.

:cry:

I feel her pain. I was once mistaken for a CompUsa employee.

Fight the power. Hands up, don't price check.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2014, 06:59:44 PM
I feel her pain. I was once mistaken for a CompUsa employee.

Fight the power. Hands up, don't price check.

I've been mistaken for an employee more than once.  I give them fucked up directions or answers like, "No, that was recalled because it caused rabies in toddlers, it was all over the news last week" and walk away.

Ideologue

I try to help people when I can.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

The Larch

One night while out partying I was standing next to the door of a club while wearing a leather jacket and some kids thought I was the bouncer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2014, 05:37:46 PM
What does religion have to do with it? :unsure:

She's the Head of the Church of England.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2014, 07:13:28 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2014, 07:05:41 PM
I am teh conflicted.
My head tells me 150cm has got to be small but the over-sized is better than undersized rings true.

No that's wrong. Err on the side of undersized.

Indeed.  When I was staying with a female friend once, I was doing laundry, and off-hand mentioned that her clothes were so tiny (she wasn't petite...about average, but even an average women compared to me is pretty small), and she took that as a rather great compliment.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 17, 2014, 08:48:52 PM

Sure.  Is it considered sinful in the Church of England for a monarch to abdicate?

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2014, 09:18:38 PM

Sure.  Is it considered sinful in the Church of England for a monarch to abdicate?

Let me start by saying I probably know less about this than most anyone here.

Sin seems a strong word, but monarchies are usually based on the Royal family being chosen by God.  It seems that it would be tough for the head of a Church to  justify abdicating a throne that was given to her by God.

mongers

Quote from: sbr on December 17, 2014, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2014, 09:18:38 PM

Let me start by saying I probably know less about this than most anyone here.

Sin seems a strong word, but monarchies are usually based on the Royal family being chosen by God.  It seems that it would be tough for the head of a Church to  justify abdicating a throne that was given to her by God.

I think it's less about religion and more to do with tradition, English kings and queens tend to die in the traces.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Maybe she has found her Mrs. Simpson.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.