News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2014, 02:52:27 AM
Tomorrow I leave japan with no immediate plans to return.
Logically this is good in so many ways. Yet still.... I don't wanna go to smelly old England. Especially now I've had two weeks of travelling to worthwhile parts of japan.

"Turned Injun, didn't ya?"

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
CB and I went to the Vero Beach Museum of Art today.  One of the pieces made me think of Barrister Boy:

The Trial by Tom Otterness.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

The art shows the aspirations of the Floridian people to one day have a court system with that level of decorum and dignity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2014, 03:42:32 PM
The art shows the aspirations of the Floridian people to one day have a court system with that level of decorum and dignity.

There's one in New York City too.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2014, 03:37:46 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
CB and I went to the Vero Beach Museum of Art today.  One of the pieces made me think of Barrister Boy:

The Trial by Tom Otterness.

:unsure:

I think the prosecutor has this case, since there's a dog, a rat and a bird on the jury and the defendant is a cat.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2014, 03:42:32 PM

I think Floridians prefer a court system that gets them insta-acquitted for shooting unarmed negroes rather than a court system of decorum and dignity.

Josquius

I was at a (very late) us Independence Day party yesterday. I won a name the states and presidents competition. Beating several natives. I am teh smart..... It have played too much Victoria. Also I are something called a sloppy joe. It was interesting.

Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2014, 06:24:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2014, 02:52:27 AM
Tomorrow I leave japan with no immediate plans to return.
Logically this is good in so many ways. Yet still.... I don't wanna go to smelly old England. Especially now I've had two weeks of travelling to worthwhile parts of japan.

:(

But overall a useful and enjoyable experience?

The last 6 months?
CV wise yes. In actuality no.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Saw some crap advertised on BBC America today. The great Martian war. A fake documentary.

I hate this planet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Ideologue

What's not to get?  It's like a TV show, but for blind people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Savonarola on July 27, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

I think the prosecutor has this case, since there's a dog, a rat and a bird on the jury and the defendant is a cat.   :bowler:

The artist might be trying to say something there.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2014, 11:20:30 PM
What's not to get?  It's like a TV show, but for blind people.

<_<

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Today I was twice press ganged into helping some  Chinese tourists translate broken English demands (ah china) into Japanese.
Which was bizzare.
Yes, logically Chinese people have little more reason to know Japanese than the people of any other country. But still..... Seems weird to have a white guy translating for Asians in an asian language.
██████
██████
██████