And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2014, 09:48:09 AM

Shareholder value FTW.  :lol:

A response: http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2014/07/are-ceos-overpaid-or-underpaid.html

Some of these points are stronger than others.

But it does seem to me a good point that the sample is restricted to the 200 highest paid.  So if the hypothesis is that pay correlates with performance, then this data doesn't falsify the hypothesis.  Because if your sample consists of the best 200 "X" in the entire world, there isn't going to be huge observable performance differences within that group.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

That little factoid's not going to save them from the guillotine, Minsky.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2014, 02:44:02 PM
That little factoid's not going to save them from the guillotine, Minsky.

Oh I don't really disagree with the main point.
I just want to make sure the expert evidence used by the revolutionary tribunal is sufficient to overcome the Daubert/Frye test.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 30, 2014, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2014, 09:48:09 AM

Shareholder value FTW.  :lol:

A response: http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2014/07/are-ceos-overpaid-or-underpaid.html

Some of these points are stronger than others.

But it does seem to me a good point that the sample is restricted to the 200 highest paid.  So if the hypothesis is that pay correlates with performance, then this data doesn't falsify the hypothesis.  Because if your sample consists of the best 200 "X" in the entire world, there isn't going to be huge observable performance differences within that group.
That's a good point, and I wish it occurred to me when I first saw this graph.  :blush:  That's like Ivy League colleges saying that they don't find SATs very predictive of their students' success.

alfred russel

Another problem is that while lots of effort is expended to tie pay to performance to create the right incentives for management, it doesn't mean pay should really equate to the performance of the Company's stock. Even aside from whether short term stock performance is a good guage of management, other considerations are needed, such CEO retention (based on other opportunities the CEO has) and the creation of a stable pay structure within the organization.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Do you have to start capitalizing "company" once you become an accountant?  Like how Otto's ideology demands he capitalize "state" when referring to US states?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 30, 2014, 08:43:13 PM
Do you have to start capitalizing "company" once you become an accountant?  Like how Otto's ideology demands he capitalize "state" when referring to US states?

Oh well spotted; maybe a new thread topic "What do you unintentionally capitalise?"
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

It's derived from the legalese, no? 

"Amalgamated Butt Plug Manufacturing, Inc., (hereafter referred to as The Company)."

alfred russel

when you refer to a specific company, yes. Companies in general, no. At least that is the rule where I work.

It is debatable whether I should have capitalized "C(c)company" in that case under those rules. I was referring to a specific theoretical company--that of "management". I think it was right to capitalize.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2014, 05:56:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 04:33:28 PM
Now I have "White, Discussion" stuck in my mind.

Shit towne.

I nominated that song as my senior class graduation theme. It just fit so well. My best friend nominated Head Like a Hole. Some dipshit nominated the worst song ever made, which won.

I think I was at a disadvantage since the album came out about six weeks before prior to the ceremony.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

All cars look the same now.

It's gotten to the point where the actual advertising has the car covered by a cloth painted like the competitor car and then the person pulls it off to reveal that it's a -something else-.

I assume the science behind everything is driving them all toward a similar design, and then the business reasons for leveraging existing design and tooling promotes standardization across models. And then there are the safety laws in the US that make some of the things they do elsewhere impossible (like you can somehow transform the concept of a steel box that goes 70mph into something safe... :P ). Honestly though, it seems like it doesn't matter what I buy, it will be the same thing.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 29, 2014, 03:14:02 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 29, 2014, 01:21:02 AM
Some of them were more along the lines of the rest of their stuff was decent too but that one album was unrepeatable.

I'm thinking of Superunknown, Throwing Copper--ones like that.

That seems fair to both (especially Live) in terms of their subsequent success, but Down On the Upside was almost as good (only lacking an equivalent to "The Day I Tried to Live," though I won't argue if you said it doesn't have a match for "Black Hole Sun" either).

Superunknown was *the* album of my teenage years. I was virtually obsessed by it  :blush: - Pearl Jam's Vitalogy the other huge one.

I thought Down On the Upside was solid, but lacked the highlights of Superunknown. What's the other platinum? Badmotorfinger? Rusty Cage is a hell of a track.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 30, 2014, 09:46:24 PM

Oh well spotted; maybe a new thread topic "What do you unintentionally capitalise?"

How about starting with spelling "capitalize" correctly?

garbon

Some people need to relax!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.