News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Seedy's collection is mostly in Video CD.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Is that where you catch dysentery?  The street?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on May 23, 2014, 04:52:16 PM
Seedy's collection is mostly in Video CD.

Betamax he got when he was twelve.  At least he can watch the original version of Star Wars.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Id rather watch it on VHS than that fucked up Lucas re-edit.  Han shot first.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2014, 04:09:32 PM
That's nonsense.  Production design is in large part interior design.  But attaching some psychic value to an easily-reproduced object due to its vintage is the height of human irrationality.  I know we all want to feel a continuity with the past, and a connection with the human species to which we belong.  But surely we must concede that the continuity and connection forged by sitting in what looks like a $35 wooden chair that "matches the interior"--a feat almost impossible to achieve in a wood-paneled hall!--is tenuous.  At best.
Leo XIII was right to condemn the heresy of Americanism <_<

Also, God knows where you're shopping if you can get them for $35 - have a closer look.

There's more to craft than just production design or interior design. The chairs can be copied, which is something I suppose. But there's a connection to an interior designed and decorated to fit into a specific building designed to the same man's vision and built together that is real and valuable. You can update and replace and restore and copy that, I don't know if it can be reproduced. So yeah, there's a value to an original Wedgwood or a genuine Arts and Crafts interior and there's a worth in hand-crafted not mass produced stuff. It's different now we've only got mass produced interiors but, still :P

Anyway if the damage is that bad, it's a living art college not a museum and sad as it is I think you'd be best giving another architect their chance :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Meanwhile, in Norfolk:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-27519536
QuoteA 75-year-old man said he spent 13 years crafting a "boring" hedge into a 150ft-long (45.7m) giant dragon.

John Brooker sculpted the mystical creature out of the 10ft-high (3m) privet alongside his rented farm cottage in East Rudham, Norfolk.

The topiary features bulging eyes, flaring nostrils and a crested back.

Mr Brooker said: "I was standing at my kitchen sink one day and thought the hedge was boring so decided to do something with it."

:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 06:19:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2014, 04:48:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 04:28:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2014, 03:39:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 22, 2014, 03:20:26 PM
I actually checked and they do have magazines. In French or local Indian ones.

My flight is scheduled at 3am, which must be just about the worst possible time if the day.

In this situation I normally head for the airport bar.

Picking up strange businessmen may or may not be a great idea. :hmm:

Why would you do that?

:huh: You're the one who brought it up.

Whenever you go to a bar do you feel compelled to pick up businessmen - either literally in the way Malthus interpreted your comment or in the way Garbon would like to see you do it?

You're projecting like a motherfucker.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2014, 04:59:04 PM

Also, God knows where you're shopping if you can get them for $35 - have a closer look.

There's more to craft than just production design or interior design. The chairs can be copied, which is something I suppose. But there's a connection to an interior designed and decorated to fit into a specific building designed to the same man's vision and built together that is real and valuable. You can update and replace and restore and copy that, I don't know if it can be reproduced. So yeah, there's a value to an original Wedgwood or a genuine Arts and Crafts interior and there's a worth in hand-crafted not mass produced stuff. It's different now we've only got mass produced interiors but, still :P

Anyway if the damage is that bad, it's a living art college not a museum and sad as it is I think you'd be best giving another architect their chance :(

Pay no attention to the douchebag behind the curtain.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2014, 04:59:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2014, 04:09:32 PM
That's nonsense.  Production design is in large part interior design.  But attaching some psychic value to an easily-reproduced object due to its vintage is the height of human irrationality.  I know we all want to feel a continuity with the past, and a connection with the human species to which we belong.  But surely we must concede that the continuity and connection forged by sitting in what looks like a $35 wooden chair that "matches the interior"--a feat almost impossible to achieve in a wood-paneled hall!--is tenuous.  At best.

I mean recall that we're talking about someone who essentially lives like a squatter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I had an interesting conversation with a man from Mumbai earlier today. Apparently people from southern India are smart whilst Punjabis are stupid and strong; central Indians have a balance of course.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on May 24, 2014, 07:02:11 AM
I had an interesting conversation with a man from Mumbai earlier today. Apparently people from southern India are smart whilst Punjabis are stupid and strong; central Indians have a balance of course.

From languish i have learned that while they have these differences, what brings them together as a people is a love of gang rape and shitting outside.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

the Ed Anger Memorial Day weekend cookout ends with only one injury this year. My left eyebrow singed.

I LOVE LIGHTER FLUID
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Kid shot up Santa Barbara, 6 dead including kid.

Made a suicide video explaining he was angry cuz he couldn't get laid.

Admiral Yi

Had an interesting discussion with one of my uncles about the hired work he used to do on other people's farms during high school.  He got paid $5/day during planting and harvesting season (this was right after WWII), working sunup to sundown.  Sometimes he would go live at the farmer's house. 

The really renumerative job, but the one he says he hated the most, was baling.  A friend of my grandfather (also a farmer with his own land) bought what was at the time the only mechanical baler in the county.  Farmers would pay 12 cents a bale to bale their hay.  My grandfather operated the baler, my oldest uncle fed hay into the hopper, and this uncle, my 2nd oldest, pulled the tied bales off the back end.  Out of that 12 cents my grandfather got 2 cents, and each uncle got a penny.  A good day was a thousand bales, so 10 bucks each for the kids.

I asked him if he had to contribute to the family budget out of his winnings and he said he did not.  That sort of surprised me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2014, 06:23:40 PM
Kid shot up Santa Barbara, 6 dead including kid.

Made a suicide video explaining he was angry cuz he couldn't get laid.

Huh.  Maybe the market price of lapdances is $180k a year.
Kinemalogue