News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Oh my. The 17 year old neighbor girl is in a bikini and is hosing herself down in her front yard.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Political correctness gone mad :ultra:

Spanish town 'Camp Kill The Jews' to change name:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/.premium-1.592700
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's tough being at work with nothing to do  and a very publicly visible computer with strong web filters
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on May 25, 2014, 10:55:29 PM
It's tough being at work with nothing to do  and a very publicly visible computer with strong web filters

Try e-books formatted to look like work documents? Bring 'em on a USB.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2014, 03:48:36 PM
Political correctness gone mad :ultra:

Spanish town 'Camp Kill The Jews' to change name:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/.premium-1.592700

I hope they don't learn my grandpa lives in "Moorkiller Drive".

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2014, 02:52:11 PM
Oh my. The 17 year old neighbor girl is in a bikini and is hosing herself down in her front yard.

PM me some pics.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on May 26, 2014, 06:14:46 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2014, 02:52:11 PM

PM me some pics.

You might want to retract that request. I am Chaotic Evil.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Fitting that Seigy's 'Alt-Hist greatest works' thread has no replies.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Our projects manager can stand the job no more and is leaving soon. One of the bosses asked me today if I would be interested in taking his place. My reaction: 'But I've been like a month here, I know jack shit about whatever it is that we do' :huh:
Apparently he likes how I'm handling the disastrous Polish affair. And of course nobody else speaks English, much less German.

The Larch

Iormlund

Aun no me han ofrecido nada. :lol:

My immediate boss needs to give the go ahead first. He's supposed to be the head honcho of engineering in Spain, but he's here like twice a month. If they decide to go with me I would be acting boss in his absence (ie always).

Also, it is a highly stressful post, lots of responsibility and travel. And I think I'd rather be an engineer than a fire-fighter. OTOH I can't really turn it down. It would really cement my CV and these days that is really, really important.
To be honest I had something like this in mind when I joined (perhaps in Germany rather than Spain), but not for a while. I still have no clue about the automotive industry, much less about mechanic, hydraulic and pneumatic systems. I would have to learn on the job, and fast.

CountDeMoney

Make sure you look into PM certifications. 

I didn't bother getting certified in Project Management because I was too busy Managing Projects, so now I can't get a job that entails Project Management because I have no paperwork from some authoritative-sounding Institute of Project Management testifying that I can do what I've already done.

Iormlund

:lol:
That's absolutely retarded. What the fuck is wrong with HR departments over there?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2014, 12:05:10 PM
:lol:
That's absolutely retarded. What the fuck is wrong with HR departments over there?
They're inventing jobs for HR people to do once they leave HR :lol:

Also: Cal :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

I actually understand where Seedy is coming from. I'm pretty sure my CVs don't get past HR in any big company. I'm too old and lack a degree.

Fortunately the typical integrator in Spain is fairly small and there's no dedicated HR department. In my  previous employer it was the head of engineering who took a look at recruits. In this one one of the owners wears this hat when necessary - but he's an engineer himself.

A guy in HR sees my CV and thinks: no degree, close to 40. An engineer sees I spent the last 7 years at one of the best integrators in the north of Spain and have a ridiculous amount of experience.