News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 23, 2014, 11:21:16 AM
Good God, barely past noon.  Why the hell did I not take the day off??

I'm glad I took today to work from home. It has been mad slow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

There's been a fire in the Glasgow School of Art :(
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/23/glasgow-school-art-fire-charles-rennie-mackintosh-live

One of the most beautiful buildings in the country :(

This has some pictures of the building:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/glasgow-school-of-art-is-on-fire
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

You obviously forgot to look out for yourself, tard.
Eveybody else did.

MadImmortalMan

I usually vote in a grocery store.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2014, 01:17:57 PM

You obviously forgot to look out for yourself, tard.
Eveybody else did.

Someone's not checking his privilege :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

In Postojna Cave, one of a large group of Chinese tourists asked the guide if it was the biggest cave in the world.

She replied, no. This cave is 23 kilometers. The largest cave is Mammoth cave in the USA at 300 kilometers.

Go Kentucky!  :P

It was cool to see how much of the thing got blackened by partisans setting fire to Nazi aircraft fuel. Still, I wonder---put a dent in the Luftwaffe for a week at the cost of putting a dent in your country forever...tough choice. Especially without hindsight.

Also, is it a cultural thing in China to just push and crowd people? There seems to be no sense of personal space sometimes. I assume these particular people were from Hong Kong due to their extreme pride in getting in line for the English speaking tour. I literally had little old ladies bouncing off of me. I thought they would fall down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

My polling station is a junior high.

mongers

Nice little audio-visual presentation marking 100 years of The Leica camera:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27516384
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2014, 11:30:55 AM
There's been a fire in the Glasgow School of Art :(
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/23/glasgow-school-art-fire-charles-rennie-mackintosh-live

One of the most beautiful buildings in the country :(

This has some pictures of the building:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/glasgow-school-of-art-is-on-fire
Apparently the library's been lost :o :(

All designed by Rennie Mackintosh. For context this is to the UK a bit like if Falling Water burned down :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

They've scanned all their shit, right? :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2014, 03:19:34 PM
if Falling Water burned down :(

I think I'd be okay with that. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2014, 03:21:05 PM
They've scanned all their shit, right? :(
I think all the students are worried they've lost their work. Not sure about the catalogue. I imagine the collection in the gallery of work by current and former students is gone :(

The real tragedy will be that space though - all the chairs, that magazine rack :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

:(  Having spent so much time hanging out at, then studying in, then working for libraries, I cringe anytime I hear about a library burning down.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2014, 03:28:26 PM
The real tragedy will be that space though - all the chairs, that magazine rack :(

Wait, what? :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!