The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2014, 05:13:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2014, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 03, 2014, 05:04:42 PM
Belfast has got it!  BREAKING NEWS!  Er, "offbeat."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breakingnews/offbeat/woman-finds-locust-in-salad-30153227.html

Woah. When I found a giant cockaroach in my Szechuan noodles, all that happened was my friends and I started calling the restaurant I got it in "A taste of cockaroach" [as opposed to its actual name, "A taste of Szechwan"]. It did not make international news.  :lol:

Did you use twitter? :P

Sad fact is it happened so long ago there was no such thing - no widely-available Internet, even.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2014, 05:14:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2014, 05:12:22 PM

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breakingnews/offbeat/woman-finds-locust-in-salad-30153227.html

Woah. When I found a giant cockaroach in my Szechuan noodles, all that happened was my friends and I started calling the restaurant I got it in "A taste of cockaroach" [as opposed to its actual name, "A taste of Szechwan"]. It did not make international news.  :lol:

Because you're clearly not an ultra-connected british journalist.

No, but nowadays I am a lawyer ... damages for mental distress, anyone?  :shifty:

That is the other thing...no one would believe the lawyer's story. :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Braz shoulda wrangled a lot more than a free lunch out of this.

garbon

My co-worker asked if she was going to sue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2014, 01:04:36 PM
This is the main problem with insects has food. They all look totally disgusting. People would eat way less steak if each time in your plate you had an entire, yet small, cow.

I dunno.  People eat shrimp, the delicious cockroaches of the sea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2014, 05:28:37 PM

For what, the cost of her salad?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2014, 05:26:53 PM
Braz shoulda wrangled a lot more than a free lunch out of this.

I'm thinking, edgy journalist with interest in competative eating competitions and unusual foods offers to eat locust found in salad, after all waste-not-want-not, bring in issues of 3rd world hunger, parlays this into a small slot on national/region tv magazine program, interest in eating other unusual found foods, becomes roving food reporter for obscure cable/freeview Channel 5 program doing sharp, witty and not too serious 5 minute 'food' items. 

'How cockroach found in takeaway help me overcome my marathon, marathon adiction in run up to marathon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking shakedown for trauma.

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on April 03, 2014, 05:42:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2014, 05:28:37 PM

For what, the cost of her salad?

Mental Distress, jeeze no wonder you can't get a job as a lawyer.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

You've swayed me.  B should absolutely pursue that cause of action in her loser-pays system.
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Did you try The Canadian Jewish News?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I mean, I wouldn't have pushed Alec Guinness down a flight of stairs or anything.  Osteoporosis is no joke.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

CDM would have been on Guiness's ass about not seeing The Conversation.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?