News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

We've had several meetings and conference calls about it, wracking our brains in the process, but have not been able to figure it out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on April 04, 2014, 03:00:57 PM
I'm curious if anyone figured out why I picked the name "Alfred Russel"?

He was black?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2014, 03:09:37 PM
We've had several meetings and conference calls about it, wracking our brains in the process, but have not been able to figure it out.

I'll let you guys know since I don't want you to waste any more of your time...

For some reason people thought I was a creationist. This wasn't true, but anyway...Almost everyone that came by languish after I got banned was being accused of being me. I figured an evolutionary related nickname would help me fly under the radar. So I decided Alfred Russel Wallace. Maybe a corny name, but less corny than Charles Darwin.

The paradox forum I posted on for 6 months before coming here didn't accept names that long. I decided to drop the Wallace because it could be associated with racism.

That is also why my sig had a Charles Darwin quote most of the time I've posted under this name (I dropped it after maybe 7 years when keeping people from knowing who I was lost its point).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 04, 2014, 04:19:34 PM

For some reason people thought I was a creationist. This wasn't true, but anyway...Almost everyone that came by languish after I got banned was being accused of being me. I figured an evolutionary related nickname would help me fly under the radar. So I decided Alfred Russel Wallace. Maybe a corny name, but less corny than Charles Darwin.

The paradox forum I posted on for 6 months before coming here didn't accept names that long. I decided to drop the Wallace because it could be associated with racism.

That is also why my sig had a Charles Darwin quote most of the time I've posted under this name (I dropped it after maybe 7 years when keeping people from knowing who I was lost its point).

Reminds me of back in the day when people were handing out "points", so I invented my very own - the res ipsa loquitor point, but I never announced what the criteria for getting one was.  I was waiting for someone to figure it out.

Except of course people stopped carrying about points, so nobody ever did guess. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Oh I thought it was intentionally arbitrary.  I did google the phrase at the time to see what it meant if that makes you feel special.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 05:00:01 PM
Oh I thought it was intentionally arbitrary.  I did google the phrase at the time to see what it meant if that makes you feel special.

Nope, it had it's own specific awarding criteria.

I handed them out whenever people whined about points, or not getting points. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The tablet made Henry very frustrated he could not control the TV by touching the screen also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

You give us way too much credit. You really think any of these mooks here would invest that much time and energy to figure out who you are? Hell, why did you bother with so much work? I don't think we are worthy that much trouble.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2014, 04:38:27 PM

Reminds me of back in the day when people were handing out "points", so I invented my very own - the res ipsa loquitor point, but I never announced what the criteria for getting one was.  I was waiting for someone to figure it out.

Well, it speaks for itself.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

You should start a Dorsey Trivia Thread. 

Do you miss being AR?  Or are you happier now that you're back to the "real" you? 

What did you get banned for, anyways?  How come you've managed to hold off stalking Malthus like you used to, even now that you're back in Dorseydom? 

Honestly, it was so long ago I have a hard time remembering all the elements of your original D4H schtick.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 04, 2014, 08:30:40 PM
What did you get banned for, anyways?  How come you've managed to hold off stalking Malthus like you used to, even now that you're back in Dorseydom? 

Honestly, it was so long ago I have a hard time remembering all the elements of your original D4H schtick.

The crazy thing about stalking malthus is that I never really stalked malthus. There were three posters that I despised, I considered them the axis of evil in a way, and Malthus was not in the trio.

There were a few things that I think contributed to the idea that I was stalking malthus: mostly springing out of one of two threads I didn't delete. I didn't delete those two threads because they turned into monster debates and I thought I was right (or at least the other side was wrong). One was me arguing with Malthus. I wouldn't let it go because I thought Malthus was demonstrably wrong and with just a few more posts everyone would realize that.

I added something to my sig trolling Malthus on the topic, because that is what I did. I was going to change my sig after a while, but then I got inner circle or backroom access or something and saw that Malthus had been complaining about my sig. I couldn't believe it: I had actually gotten under someone's skin! I never changed the sig.

I got banned mostly because I really didn't get along with Martinus. He kept banning me. I was actually getting banned rather frequently, and randomly, often without announcement. Some were deserved, some not. I tried to start over with a new account, you may remember Jebediah (who was going to be one of the greatest characters ever), but after a month or two the mods revealed they knew it was me. I decided there would be no point to continue as Dorsey--not only was I banned half the time, but many others were flaming me. I thought it would be fun to start over, and to do that, Dorsey needed to die. So I composed a really fun post ranting about Martinus in order to get permabanned.  Once Dorsey got banned, I continued the rants with all my other socks until they all got banned too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel