Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:24:30 PM
:huh:

Knowing that I'm half black and half white isn't likely to facilitate communication or a better understanding of one another.

How do any of the usual small talk questions like where are you from, what's your job, etc., etc., "facilitate communication or a better understanding of one another" any better than asking about ethnicity?

Because they actually tell you things about the person and lend themselves easily to follow-up related questions.  I don't think that really works with ethnicity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

It think it's really awesome how derSpiess is facilitating discussions about cultural sensitivity.

Admiral Yi

They actually tell you things about the person?  But ethnicity doesn't? 

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:39:48 PM

Yes. I think that my affinity for Southern California and that I work in market research tells you a hell of a lot more than the fact that I'm half black.  I'm not even sure what the latter tells you unless you want to slot your thoughts along stereotypical racial lines.

Which I think is another point. When you are first meeting a person, generally you aren't seeking to offend them. Ethnicity questions are more likely to lead to potential offense and should be saved till you know the person a bit better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I think those questions are frequently an indication that the person's accent is a bit stronger than they think it is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2014, 03:45:49 PM
I think those questions are frequently an indication that the person's accent is a bit stronger than they think it is.

:D

No, I don't think that's right at all. I don't have an accent...though I do sometimes use terms that aren't common here on the East Coast.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:39:48 PM

Yes. I think that my affinity for Southern California and that I work in market research tells you a hell of a lot more than the fact that I'm half black.  I'm not even sure what the latter tells you unless you want to slot your thoughts along stereotypical racial lines.

Which I think is another point. When you are first meeting a person, generally you aren't seeking to offend them. Ethnicity questions are more likely to lead to potential offense and should be saved till you know the person a bit better.

This is an indication that you know us all really well?  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I think it's the other way.  Market research tells me nothing about you; being half black tells me a bit.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
It's a failure of articulation.  What they mean is what is your ethnicity.

How is that relevant when you first meet someone?

And I know. Just like when they ask "what is your nationality".

My Jewish not-friend what's fucking Korea now got really annoyed by that, but claimed he never would have been offended if they asked his ethnicity.

I personally think it's a faux pas, because it has the propensity to offend, and why risk it over nothing?  Because it is irrelevant; on the other hand, 90% of conversations are irrelevant, and I understand that there's a natural curiosity for its own sake when you meet someone who doesn't look like you do to find out what their specific deal is, especially when more recent additions to our melting pot tend to have more discrete origins than "I hail from fucking Europe/Africa" that old Americans like you or I have.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:48:13 PM

I think it's the other way.  Market research tells me nothing about you; being half black tells me a bit.

What does the latter tell you?

I think the former gives you some indication of level of education, employment status, potentially mindset (analytical), etc. It also lends itself easily to questions like what did you study in school, where did you go to school, what got you interested in that, etc. The ethnicity question, well what follow-up does it leave you?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:47:13 PM

No, I don't think that's right at all. I don't have an accent...

Oh, but I do?  That's regionalist. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:21:06 PM
It's a failure of articulation.  What they mean is what is your ethnicity.

How is that relevant when you first meet someone?

And I know. Just like when they ask "what is your nationality".

My Jewish not-friend what's fucking Korea now got really annoyed by that, but claimed he never would have been offended if they asked his ethnicity.

I personally think it's a faux pas, because it has the propensity to offend, and why risk it over nothing?  Because it is irrelevant; on the other hand, 90% of conversations are irrelevant, and I understand that there's a natural curiosity for its own sake when you meet someone who doesn't look like you do to find out what their specific deal is, especially when more recent additions to our melting pot tend to have more discrete origins than "I hail from fucking Europe/Africa" that old Americans like you or I have.

I've never been offended. I usually make a game of it and make them guess my ethnicity (usually wrong, btw, unless my hair has grown out a bit).

I do generally answer straight faced if asked nationality though. :D

Eddie Teach

No, I don't think that's right at all. I don't have an accent...though I do sometimes use terms that aren't common here on the East Coast.

Speaking more in general.

Also, agree with Yi. Knowing you're not Indian tells us more than the market research bit.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 03:51:49 PM

No, I don't think that's right at all. I don't have an accent...

Oh, but I do?  That's regionalist. <_<

Have I suggested that I'm any other way? :unsure: