News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 11:51:02 AM
Unless you have your own compressor, yes. Most stations charge for water and air .75-1.00

It is generally free here.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 11:51:02 AM
Unless you have your own compressor, yes. Most stations charge for water and air .75-1.00

It is generally free here.

Gas stations charge in my neck of the woods
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2014, 10:43:37 AM
Being able to do basic car maintenance is useful, but not overly useful. Every year, cars get more complex and more reliable.

I'd like to know how things I regularly use work...especially a car because it is conceivable you will be in a spot where you have a breakdown and no one to call (as opposed to your AC unit). That is more of an aspirational ideal for me than reality. A big factor is once I replaced my first car (an old chevy I inherited from my grandmother) I stopped having car problems.

That said, the changing of a car battery is really easy. Anyone can do it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Do you guys power the on board computer while swapping the battery?

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 12:04:02 PM
Do you guys power the on board computer while swapping the battery?

No

11B4V

Of the four vehicles i have, two are OBD 1 and two are OBD 2. The time it takes to change a batt will not reset the OB comp. That usually takes a disconnect of 20 minutes or so. If it takes longer it's no big. The comp just has to relearn and that takes 10 miles or so.

If I do a tune up or replace a sensor, I will disconnect the batt while doing so.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 11:58:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 11:56:33 AM
Ecotopian hellhole.

http://www.freeairpump.com/map/

Why I have my own compressor. ;)

As I thought, not many in Cincy.  I'd buy a compressor if I found an additional use for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 11:59:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2014, 10:43:37 AM
Being able to do basic car maintenance is useful, but not overly useful. Every year, cars get more complex and more reliable.

I'd like to know how things I regularly use work...especially a car because it is conceivable you will be in a spot where you have a breakdown and no one to call (as opposed to your AC unit). That is more of an aspirational ideal for me than reality. A big factor is once I replaced my first car (an old chevy I inherited from my grandmother) I stopped having car problems.

That said, the changing of a car battery is really easy. Anyone can do it.

Certainly.

My only point was that in the olden days, if you wanted to reliably use your car, you really needed to know how to perform basic repairs, which tended to be reasonably easy anyway because cars were mechanically simpler than now. These days, that skill is less useful.

One can see that in the future, such skills will be relegated to the same category as being able to tan your own leather or grow your own food - that is, an interest or hobby for a tiny minority. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

One thing I'll admit to is letting the auto parts store do the windshield wiper installation.  For some reason that always trips me up if I try to do it myself  :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:09:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 11:58:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 11:56:33 AM
Ecotopian hellhole.

http://www.freeairpump.com/map/

Why I have my own compressor. ;)

As I thought, not many in Cincy.  I'd buy a compressor if I found an additional use for it.

Yea, browse over to the Olympia, Wa area and you'll see what i mean.  :D

lustindarkness

There is one gas station around here with free air, all the rest charge. But I have a compressor, so it matters not.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Capetan Mihali

It's all free in Vermont as far as I can see, but I always remember having to put in a few quarters in Phila. and N.J./N.Y./Conn.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tamas

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:18:25 PM
There is one gas station around here with free air, all the rest charge. But I have a compressor, so it matters not.

Are they monitoring pedestrians walking past the station, to make sure they pay or hold their breath?