News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My grandfather's stories of radical car repairs during the second world war made for amusing hearing. His job was to police Canada's wood stocks against noxious insects, meaning thousands of miles of driving on crappy back roads ... at a time when you could not get tires or spare parts.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 10:27:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 10:22:25 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
All things being equal, I'd let the dude at the auto parts store install the battery-- if only to keep my hands from getting dirty.  But FFS.  A car battery is one of those basic things any driver should know about.

I don't see why. I don't anticipate being in a situation where it would be necessary for me to change my battery.

There are lots of things in life you don't anticipate.  I'd put changing a battery/troubleshooting a battery problem in the same class as checking oil level, checking/maintaining proper tire inflation, and other very basic common sense maintenance. 

Plus it's just dead simple. 

Handing over money to have those things managed is also very simple.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

But it's not The Tough Guy Way  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2014, 10:23:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 10:17:36 AM
Actually my comment was related to Ide's.

At any rate, I do think it is problematic if this girl was automatically singled out to play the hispanic character in the skit because she is hispanic. What if she wanted to be a different part?

I get that.  I was not interested in always automatically being the racist cracker white dude either, but you know that is what you got to do as an actor sometimes.  What I found ridiculous is her acting like this was some sort of horrid injustice...but I guess it could be we just get his sign and picture out of context.  Maybe she had been rejected numerous roles because of her race and then just given this part and it was the last straw or something.

It was a skit, so I assume what happened is they had a part and the teacher automatically assigned her to be Dora...much in the same as the two examples that I gave. It isn't a horrible injustice, just tiresome.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 10:41:55 AM
When I see some hipster hold up a stupid handwritten sign and take a selfie, I reach for my Beretta.

Impressive being able to take a selfie with no free hands, though. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 10:53:42 AM

Paying someone else to put air in your tires is deeply retarded.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 10:58:48 AM

So is equating replacing a battery with putting air in tires. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 10:59:45 AM

So are you.  Read the post he was responding to, you moran.

garbon

Does anyone charge for that? I know there have been a few times when a place put air in my tires but that generally happened in the context of an oil change.

FWIW, I am capable of putting air in my tires and checking my oil.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 11:03:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 10:59:45 AM

So are you.  Read the post he was responding to, you moran.

Dickhead, the post he was responding to said,

QuoteI'd put changing a battery/troubleshooting a battery problem in the same class as checking oil level, checking/maintaining proper tire inflation, and other very basic common sense maintenance. 

Caliga

The most complicated thing I've done with a car is replace one of Princesca's blown fuses, unless you count the time I fixed a dent in my left rear quarter panel with a 2x4 and a rubber mallet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 11:06:05 AM
Dickhead, the post he was responding to said,

ah, so you were agreeing with me.  My bad.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 10:57:21 AM
It isn't a horrible injustice, just tiresome.

Well I guess I cannot argue with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 11:03:57 AM

Does anyone charge for that? I know there have been a few times when a place put air in my tires but that generally happened in the context of an oil change.

FWIW, I am capable of putting air in my tires and checking my oil.

Unless you have your own compressor, yes. Most stations charge for water and air .75-1.00
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I've never paid for air.