News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Lena Dunham is nasty.  And not the good kind of nasty-- the bad kind.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2014, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2014, 08:04:42 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PM
Actually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

:rolleyes:

Well when I was in school we always had to play the racist white people in the school plays.  It would have been weird if I had played MLK while the black dude was Bull Connor but maybe that would have been progressive and stuff.

The joke of course is that it is hard to imagine a high school play involving Dora the Explorer *except* in the context of an earnest play exploring the themes of racism and sexism in popular culture, given that Dora is a preschooler cartoon and thus of no interest to high school students except for what she can be made to stand for.

[The same goes for one featuring a simulated donkey show, though naturally not for the same reason  ;) ).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2014, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2014, 09:19:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2014, 09:17:46 PM
Why do you hate good service?

I'm not lazy. Except when writing reviews.  :P
Saving on car servicing these days is false economy, unless you really, really know what you're doing.  Your time is worth money, and so are the repairs you'll need to do after you fuck something up.

Changing a battery though?

Before I finished college I really couldn't afford car repairs. I "replaced" a radiator and a alternator. Replaced is in quotation marks because I needed a lot of help....I got confused replacing the alternator and my car was inoperable few days after getting the old one out because I couldn't get the new one in. A friend had to come over and show me how to do it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 09:42:37 AM

misogynist
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Does Lena Dunham perform in donkey shows or something?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Saving on car servicing these days is false economy, unless you really, really know what you're doing.  Your time is worth money, and so are the repairs you'll need to do after you fuck something up.

:huh: How can you fuck up putting in a car battery?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 10:03:16 AM

:huh: How can you fuck up putting in a car battery?

Knowing my luck, the car would explode.

derspiess

All things being equal, I'd let the dude at the auto parts store install the battery-- if only to keep my hands from getting dirty.  But FFS.  A car battery is one of those basic things any driver should know about.

Valmy

I decided I did not want to get into this but since I got quoted guess I better repost:

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2014, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2014, 08:04:42 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PM
Actually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

:rolleyes:

Well when I was in school we always had to play the racist white people in the school plays.  It would have been weird if I had played MLK while the black dude was Bull Connor but maybe that would have been progressive and stuff.

Anyway I get that garbon is complaining about minorities NOT getting roles professionally.  I can get that.  But I guess I failed to see the link since this girl is complaining about getting a part to play a minority character.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2014, 10:15:37 AM
I decided I did not want to get into this but since I got quoted guess I better repost:

Anyway I get that garbon is complaining about minorities NOT getting roles professionally.  I can get that.  But I guess I failed to see the link since this girl is complaining about getting a part to play a minority character.

Actually my comment was related to Ide's.

At any rate, I do think it is problematic if this girl was automatically singled out to play the hispanic character in the skit because she is hispanic. What if she wanted to be a different part?

It reminds me of the attitude which required me as the black kid on class to share my opinion on slavery and to get signed up to write on black subjects when history topics were handed out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2014, 10:00:58 AM

misogynist

I feel like in Dunham's case, not agreeing with her = misogyny.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 10:00:12 AM
Before I finished college I really couldn't afford car repairs. I "replaced" a radiator and a alternator. Replaced is in quotation marks because I needed a lot of help....I got confused replacing the alternator and my car was inoperable few days after getting the old one out because I couldn't get the new one in. A friend had to come over and show me how to do it.

Changing an alternator on some (but not all) cars is dead simple.  On my Camry I just loosened three bolts, used a tool (borrowed for free from the auto parts store) to release tension on the belt, put a new belt on & tightened the three bolts on the new alternator.  Took me 45 minutes but I probably could have done it in 30 or less.  God knows how much the dealership would've charged and they would have had my car all day.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
All things being equal, I'd let the dude at the auto parts store install the battery-- if only to keep my hands from getting dirty.  But FFS.  A car battery is one of those basic things any driver should know about.

I don't see why. I don't anticipate being in a situation where it would be necessary for me to change my battery.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 10:19:31 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2014, 10:00:58 AM

misogynist

I feel like in Dunham's case, not agreeing with her = misogyny.

Showing her naked on TV is a crime against humanity.  There's a "huge manatee" joke in there somewhere, as well.