Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2014, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 06:14:51 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2014, 06:13:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2014, 05:30:43 PM
Tuna, cheese and jello simply don't belong together.  :lol:

Leviticus XII-3-5

You Jews just never stop trying to push your agenda, do you. <_<

I made that up ;)

and B--I'm not Jewish...I just work for them.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2014, 06:19:57 PM

and B--I'm not Jewish...I just work for them.

Don't you all?

But now I've said too much.  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

What does "remain in her blood of purification for 66 days " mean?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2014, 06:21:32 PM
What does "remain in her blood of purification for 66 days " mean?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  :ph34r:

But seriously ... this is just an example of Hebrew ritual impurity rituals. Childbirth, being a medically dangerous time (in the ancient world especially so) was associated with impurity and death as well as life. Meaning, that women were supposed to be kept segregated until they were ritually "purified" for a certain number of days after giving birth.

Why the different numbers of days for male versus female kids? I have no idea.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I thought it meant she got to sit on her blood stained things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I get the purity rituals thing, and why it was necessary. [a lot of that ancient Jewish stuff makes sense for purely "health and safety" reasons]...I just wish I knew what that specific thing means. I'm thinking she has to go to the mikvah daily for two months after giving birth?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2014, 01:41:29 PM

Actually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Kind of.  She teaches little kids Spanish.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PM
Actually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PMActually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

For someone who clothes himself in such progressive garb, you sure come off as thoroughly regressive on occasion.

PDH

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2014, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PMActually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

For someone who clothes himself in such progressive garb, you sure come off as thoroughly regressive on occasion.

Commies are pretty conservative, really.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

He is from South Carolina. Voicing an opinion to the left of "lets deport her" is radically progressive.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Bitch needs to go back to cleaning my bathrooms.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I wouldn't call Stalinism "progressive garb".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017