And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 05:42:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 09:56:40 AM
I'm gonna go check out some arcade machines. NBA JAM? Would look good in mah basement.

Bought NBA Jam and Shit Fighter II: something something edition. Almost bought Joust but I ain't paying 2K for that one.

Um. Joust is the best game evah.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: fhdz on January 10, 2014, 09:52:50 PM
I'm gonna go check out some arcade machines. NBA JAM? Would look good in mah basement.

Bought NBA Jam and Shit Fighter II: something something edition. Almost bought Joust but I ain't paying 2K for that one.

Um, I'm not spending 2000 smackers on it.

Money doesn't shoot out of my ass at will.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 10:05:51 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 10, 2014, 09:52:50 PM

Um, I'm not spending 2000 smackers on it.

Money doesn't shoot out of my ass at will.

Well why not :(

NBA Jam is rad, though.

Hell, so's SFII.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I moved house.
I have way too many clothes in Japan. Not enough room to hang them all up. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

How many kimonos do you own?

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2014, 01:33:00 PM
Are those streets still called Heerstrasse and Reichsstrasse?
Yes.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2014, 05:22:47 PM
Pictures of truly disturbing party food from the 60s and 70s.  :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannarebolini/truly-upsetting-vintage-recipes

Some of that reminds me of Swedish Smörgåstårta.

Images
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2014, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:58:08 PMActually, doesn't it?  Is race an important part of the character?  Serious question, I don't know.  But if so, yes.

For someone who clothes himself in such progressive garb, you sure come off as thoroughly regressive on occasion.

Aren't you a writer?  Do you seriously believe that race does not matter to any character, ever?

Of course you don't.  Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.

You can have a black Peter Parker, because being a loser who can't stay with the tour group doesn't depend on race.  You can't have a black Bruce Wayne, because a mountain of WASPy privilege is inherent to the character.  You can have a black Bruce Banner, because being a gamma ray scientist doesn't depend on race.  You can't have a black Captain America, because the 1940s.

I used to think you couldn't have a black Superman, but now I think that's possible, you just can't put Smallville in Kansas--which it wasn't, originally, anyway (it was nearer the Atlantic coast, probably in Maryland!).  There are small black farms all over SC and Georgia though.  But wouldn't Superman have to be a somewhat different character if he grew up with the disfavored skin color in a country where race, unfortunately, matters?

But,you know, on reflection, you're totally right.  Let's cast Garrett Hedlund as the Black Panther.  Where's the fucking harm?  I'm being ridiculously conservative.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Now as to whether race matters to Dora the fucking Explorer, I said I was serious and meant it.  How the fuck should I know?

Fwiw, I doubt any of you know either.  Maybe MB.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Black Superman growing up in the 90s doesn't require a chip on his shoulder.

Josquius

You can't have a black superman. He must always be Jewish.

QuoteHow many kimonos do you own?
One. It is kept in a box. They dont' crease.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 04:37:10 AM
Now as to whether race matters to Dora the fucking Explorer, I said I was serious and meant it.  How the fuck should I know?

I love your backwards racial thinking. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Wait...wah?

I hate the little cartoon Hispanic slut and her damn monkey too.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 07:54:29 AM

I love your backwards racial thinking. :)

:rolleyes:
Kinemalogue