News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2014, 11:36:13 AM
You may be too young to remember but during the cold war we had a countdown to midnight - the metaphor for when the world would end in nuclear destruction.  It was a powerful device to advocate for change.  No sane person would suggest that it was meaningless because the world wasnt actually destroyed.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists still has it; and it's five minutes to midnight!

http://www.thebulletin.org/

(Alas it hasn't been 2 minutes to midnight since the 50s)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Capetan Mihali

The Brain is full of skit and looks like sopor. :nelson:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

The Brain

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Liep on January 10, 2014, 03:15:13 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 10, 2014, 03:12:24 PM
Cry me an Å.

That's a vowel. No wonder the Brain is mad.

'Cause he's jealous of Ed's vowel movements?

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on January 10, 2014, 02:52:02 PM(Alas it hasn't been 2 minutes to midnight since the 50s)

Maybe the hands that threaten doom have been tired lately.

The Larch

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on January 10, 2014, 04:04:22 PM

To say that FUll Metal Jacket was set in South Carolina seems like a deliberate falsehood.  I mean, sure, the most memorable part of that movie was set there, but the bulk of the movie was set in Vietnam...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

The Brain

Vietnam isn't a state of the union. America lost the war.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.