News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

It is easier to discriminate against people if you know their ethnicity.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:51:18 PM
What does the latter tell you?

It tells me there is a likelihood you will be alienated and defensive.

Ideologue

:P

Everyone says I have an indecipherable accent even though I don't, they're just culturally insensitive. :(

I'm considering watching all the Matthew McConnaughey Renaissance films until I sound like him.  That seems to play, but when I talk, it's always "LOL ARE YOU FROM THE MOUNTAINS?", or "What?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:56:06 PM

It tells me there is a likelihood you will be alienated and defensive.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

It is funny how he manages to sound like a Southern hick and a surfer at the same time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2014, 03:58:12 PM
It is funny how he manages to sound like a Southern hick and a surfer at the same time.

We've got an ocean.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 03:55:51 PM
It is easier to discriminate against people if you know their ethnicity.

Just discriminate against ugly people.  Less work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

That was a bit odd. Amazon had a CD up where the physical CD was cheaper than the mp3 format...and the physical CD came with a free download of the mp3s. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 03:43:15 PM
Yes. I think that my affinity for Southern California and that I work in market research tells you a hell of a lot more than the fact that I'm half black.  I'm not even sure what the latter tells you unless you want to slot your thoughts along stereotypical racial lines.

I think it's the other way.  Market research tells me nothing about you; being half black tells me a bit.

I think the former gives you some indication of level of education, employment status, potentially mindset (analytical), etc. It also lends itself easily to questions like what did you study in school, where did you go to school, what got you interested in that, etc. The ethnicity question, well what follow-up does it leave you?

Maybe he'll say "cool, now I can say I have a black friend. Previously, my blackest friend was a quadroon, which felt a bit weak when I had to defend myself against charges of racism."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 05:37:04 PMMaybe he'll say "cool, now I can say I have a black friend. Previously, my blackest friend was a quadroon, which felt a bit weak when I had to defend myself against charges of racism."

Eh you can just use an acquaintance and claim he is one of your best friends.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

I fucked a black chick. Which gives me the cloak of protection from racist charges +5
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2014, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 05:37:04 PMMaybe he'll say "cool, now I can say I have a black friend. Previously, my blackest friend was a quadroon, which felt a bit weak when I had to defend myself against charges of racism."

Eh you can just use an acquaintance and claim he is one of your best friends.

Not if you're a stickler for technicalities. In which case it's relevant, since he can judge the potential benefits of a future friendship and whether to pursue it.

Ideologue

I also claim the jungle fever exemption to accusations of racism.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 05:55:48 PM
I also claim the jungle fever exemption to accusations of racism.

When you start collecting multiple fevers - doesn't that just mean you're a whore?