And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 09:31:32 AM
Special?

It's more slang, but you (or at least, I) hear the slang/sarcastic connotation more often than the original.  It comes from when they started calling retarded kids "special" as a self-esteem booster.  Also from "Special Education" which is education for slow kids.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 09:39:43 AM
Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 09:31:32 AM
Special?

It's more slang, but you (or at least, I) hear the slang/sarcastic connotation more often than the original.  It comes from when they started calling retarded kids "special" as a self-esteem booster.  Also from "Special Education" which is education for slow kids.

Ah, of course.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Slang is one thing. More annoying is the fact that people are morans and don't understand normal words.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

In other news, my favorite rendition of bohemian rhapsody is by the muppets. Probable my most watched video on youtube also. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 11, 2013, 03:59:19 PM
In other news, my favorite rendition of bohemian rhapsody is by the muppets. Probable my most watched video on youtube also. :)

More than Professional Pirate? :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 09:19:14 AM
Are there any words in English that have two opposite meanings? 'Forfordelt' means being at a disadvantage, but it lately it has been used as having an advantage. Both meanings are now accepted in the dictionary.

We have a few words like this, it's usually a generational divide between who thinks what means what.

"Cleave" means both to adhere and to separate. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 10:26:52 PM
No gum today, just a patch.  My review: It's itchy when you put it on then it feels like it's wet and then nothing happens.  D+

No patch today, just existence.  My review: this must be what it's like to have an actual disorder of the central nervous system.  D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
No patch today, just existence.  My review: this must be what it's like to have an actual disorder of the central nervous system be a junkie with a goddamned addiction you never should've picked up in the first fucking place.  D

Edited for clarity.

Ideologue

Well, why didn't they make it illegal?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2013, 08:35:13 PM

Money. The ole Mighty Dollar.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 09:25:54 AM
Tons.  I remember old people bitching back in the 80s about how the word "bad" had positive connotations among us young uns.

I know "awesome" tended to be a negative word until sometime around the 80s as well.  I'd say "sick" is a more recent one that would fit into that category as well.  Same for "special".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZErvASwdlU
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2013, 08:37:56 PM

I assume some sort of Berkutian concept of freedom.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2013, 08:46:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2013, 08:37:56 PM

I assume some sort of Berkutian concept of freedom.

Except when it comes to smoking.  Because your rights end where my feelings begin.

EXCUSE ME I ORDERED A ZIMA NOT EMPHYSEMA