News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

I enjoyed it.  Cats have realized that democracy has failed to provide for our needs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Atlantic has an article about the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance which makes me feel VERY old. Considering that Cobain shot himself a few months later it's kinda hard not to look at it and see a thoroughly broken and messed up young man. Still an absolutely excellent performance and album.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: fhdz on December 13, 2013, 01:01:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2013, 01:00:28 AM
:unsure:

Not enough Cthulhu eating 20s police cars, eh?
The painting is very well done, but I don't recognize what they're referencing with the quote.

Cthulhu wasn't present in that painting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2013, 01:05:44 AM
I enjoyed it.  Cats have realized that democracy has failed to provide for our needs.

:lol:

Cats are monarchists at heart.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

I didn't look at who posted that picture and assumed it was CdM the whole time. :blush:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

A D-Day Sherman tank found underwater during a project to map the five D-Day beaches using modern sonar equipment.

From an article by a colleague of mine:
http://www.naval-technology.com/features/featureremembering-d-day-revealing-the-hidden-wrecks-under-normandy-waters-4143012/

lustindarkness

An oil change and new battery, maybe some WD40, it will be like new.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

I wonder if the crew inside made it out.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

It seems yet more shops are on fire in my home town.

There was a big fire a few years ago, maybe 5 or more. It burned down some nice, old buildings and knocking out a few shops. That one was to do with organised crime iirc. Someone firebombed the pool hall which was upstairs above all the shops.
The place burned down and was never rebuilt, the area despite being on the town's front street remains wasteland to this day. After a few years the council got so embarassed they painted the temporary boards in front of the gaping hole in the town.

A month or two ago there was another fire which knocked out more old buildings. This one apparently the fault of a Chinese takeaway, famous for cutting corners, doing so with grease disposal or...something like that.

And today it seems the shops next door to the first destroyed buildings are also being gutted.

This is truly bizzare. Its like a post-apocolyptic world with the abandoned buildings finally going up...except these shops were apparently still inhabited.
Increasingly I grow suspicious its the council forcing the idea that the town centre needs to shrink to survive.
Except of course its the useful and still in business shops and nice buildings that always seem to go.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2013, 05:48:51 PM
Was just reading about that.  Kim Jong Un just seems like a dude you don't want to ever have been very close to.

He fears no uncles dead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 02:40:59 PMThing is though, if one lined the drugs up and measured them objectively, tobacco would rate as deserving of being in a similar category as the very worst drugs, legally. In some respects - tobacco is notoriously mentally addictive, it's about as bad in that respect as heroin (though obviously heroin is far worse in terms of physical addiction). Also, if you are a smoker, chances are very good you will die because of it, eventually (if you are an illegal user of heroin, your chances are of course far greater of dying of an overdose or of complications from injections).

I think the distinguishing issue is that nicotine doesn't make you less functional.  In fact, it makes you more functional.

Speaking of functionality, I think I'm more or less over the physical withdrawal symptoms (which were much, much easier than I expected, probably thanks to paring down slowly, so, yeah, gum and patches work).

However, cognitively, I still feel like I'm about 20 IQ points lighter (I'm also still eating too much, though my appetite is dropping off somewhat).  I'm having trouble paying attention to things; it feels more difficult to string sentences together, especially in speech but also in print; semicolon use is down 23%.  Will I get back to "normal," or does it turn out I was self-medicating a nasty case of ADD for fifteen years?  If it doesn't go away, I'm totally going to start again, because I'd rather be kind of ill and shorten than have every time I work on anything feel like I'm pushing my way through a universe filled to the brim with gauze.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

This darkness at 5:30 bullshit is driving me up the wall.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive