News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

The chairmen of the House and Senate budget committees just held a press conference to announce they had come to an agreement on a budget.  The press conference was very short on specifics but the Wolfman mentioned raising federal employee contributions to pensions.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2013, 03:44:48 PM
I :wub: my Tacoma, but they're pretty pricey compared to a Big Three truck.

Yeah, which is the main thing keeping me away from the Tacoma/Tundra.  There is a chance my next vehicle will be a truck, and the front runner as of now is a GMC Sierra 1500 regular cab long bed.

Tonitrus

I hear good things about the Nissan Frontier.

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2013, 07:43:22 PM
I hear good things about the Nissan Frontier.

A friend bought one after the Toyota dealers wouldn't budge on the Tundra price.

Has liked it a lot.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

QuoteMore young men in California rise in pitch at the end of their sentences when talking, new research shows.

Yeah, that was annoying.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

No gum today, just a patch.  My review: It's itchy when you put it on then it feels like it's wet and then nothing happens.  D+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I'm eating a lot too.  It's a good thing I lost weight over the holidays, because I've been on like 3000cal/day for the past few.  It's disgusting and I hate myself but it's really difficult to help.  I'm insanely hungry a large part of the time.  Today I'm right at 2000, which is still too much, but not obscene; I am still very hungry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Get used to that feeling.

Ideologue

Huh.  Why am I quitting again?
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Because there's no smoking on campus.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 10, 2013, 06:30:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2013, 03:44:48 PM
I :wub: my Tacoma, but they're pretty pricey compared to a Big Three truck.

Yeah, which is the main thing keeping me away from the Tacoma/Tundra.  There is a chance my next vehicle will be a truck, and the front runner as of now is a GMC Sierra 1500 regular cab long bed.

Regular cab long bed is a very traditional truck - seats 2/3, can take a sheet of plywood flat in the back (8' long).  If that's what you're after that'd be a good one.

Me, I had to get a crew cab (good thing, since I now have three kids).  However too many trucks if you go crew cab sacrifice box length.  When I looked at the Frontier (and my prior car was a well-loved Nissan, so I looked long and hard) the problem was the bed was ~5' in length (not very long).  I went with the Tacoma because of the extra foot in box length.

The cost of the Tacoma is high, but in 8 years (it's a 2005) I've done precisely zero unscheduled maintenance on it, and I'm pretty sure that it's resale value is higher than a 2005 F150 or whatever comparable you might have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.