News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I wonder what it is about California with the Civic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2013, 11:46:54 AM

Probably affordability.  I understand it's expensive to live in California.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2013, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2013, 11:46:54 AM

Probably affordability.  I understand it's expensive to live in California.

I don't know. I flipped through this and California is up there but so are many of those states with more expensive cars. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100876442/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
I used to eat chunks of raw ground beef back when I was little.  When my mom was making pelmeni, I was helping with the meat grinder, and I always took some small soft chunks.  It actually tastes surprisingly well.  Now that I look back on it, I'm surprised how I didn't give myself food poisoning.

Bolded part is the reason.  Bacterial contagions cannot penetrate solid beef muscle tissue very far.  If the raw meat is consumed shortly after grinding or slicing there isn't much of an issue unless you have some sort of immunological weakness.  Commercially-packaged ground beef has serious issues because it sits as ground meat for so long (thus being effectively all surface area) and because meat from multiple animals is mixed together (increasing the likelihood that bacterial contaminants can enter the mix.).

crazy canuck

That and the immunity he built up eating all those blueberries.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 09, 2013, 10:14:25 AM
:yucky:

QuoteCDC to Wisconsin: Please Avoid 'Cannibal Sandwiches'

(Newser) – "Cannibal sandwiches," an appetizer featuring raw, lean ground beef served on cocktail bread, may be a Wisconsin tradition, but they are not safe, health officials said, noting that more than a dozen people became ill after consuming them last holiday season. Health officials confirmed four cases tied to E. coli bacteria and 13 likely cases in people who ate the sandwiches at several gatherings late last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a report issued this week. The meat came from a Watertown market that later recalled more than 2,500 pounds of meat.

Cannibal sandwiches were tied to outbreaks in Wisconsin in 1972, 1978, and 1994. The appetizer, also called "tiger meat," "steak tartare," or simply "ground beef," is usually a simple dish of lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion, says Milwaukee historian John Gurda, who served it at his 1977 wedding reception. Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat. Says the owner of a butcher shop in Kenosha: "It's like eating a cold hamburger that's a little on the raw side."

http://www.newser.com/story/178742/cdc-to-wisconsin-please-avoid-cannibal-sandwiches.html
I used to eat chunks of raw ground beef back when I was little.  When my mom was making pelmeni, I was helping with the meat grinder, and I always took some small soft chunks.  It actually tastes surprisingly well.  Now that I look back on it, I'm surprised how I didn't give myself food poisoning.

Eating raw beef is perfectly normal. It's awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

A good steak tartare is awesome. As with most raw food, the safety has to do with the provenance and handling of it.

A friend of mine had raw chicken at a family farm in Japan....

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2013, 02:33:17 PM
A friend of mine had raw chicken at a family farm in Japan....

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 09, 2013, 11:40:20 AM
So, many Fords.

If I ever buy a Pick up, I'm buying a Tacoma/Tundra.

I :wub: my Tacoma, but they're pretty pricey compared to a Big Three truck.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: 11B4V on December 09, 2013, 10:14:25 AM
:yucky:

QuoteCDC to Wisconsin: Please Avoid 'Cannibal Sandwiches'

(Newser) – "Cannibal sandwiches," an appetizer featuring raw, lean ground beef served on cocktail bread, may be a Wisconsin tradition, but they are not safe, health officials said, noting that more than a dozen people became ill after consuming them last holiday season. Health officials confirmed four cases tied to E. coli bacteria and 13 likely cases in people who ate the sandwiches at several gatherings late last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a report issued this week. The meat came from a Watertown market that later recalled more than 2,500 pounds of meat.

Cannibal sandwiches were tied to outbreaks in Wisconsin in 1972, 1978, and 1994. The appetizer, also called "tiger meat," "steak tartare," or simply "ground beef," is usually a simple dish of lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion, says Milwaukee historian John Gurda, who served it at his 1977 wedding reception. Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat. Says the owner of a butcher shop in Kenosha: "It's like eating a cold hamburger that's a little on the raw side."

http://www.newser.com/story/178742/cdc-to-wisconsin-please-avoid-cannibal-sandwiches.html

The Arabs have a version with lamb called kibbeh (usually raw kibbeh in the United States.)  They really like the stuff.  I had a co-worker once whose family was Lebanese.  She was a vegetarian, but even she would eat kibbeh (lamb, the other red vegetable).

I prefer kibbeh to steak tartar.  It's spiced and they have a certain way of cutting it that really adds to the texture.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Ethiopians do a nice spiced raw beef dish called kitfoh.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on December 09, 2013, 05:08:13 PM
I prefer kibbeh to steak tartar.  It's spiced and they have a certain way of cutting it that really adds to the texture.

Kibbeh is good stuff. But I still prefer a steak tartar if it is prepared properly.  The problem is that lots of people try to do steak tartar these days - and sometimes not very well - no pun intended.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2013, 05:09:08 PM
Ethiopians do a nice spiced raw beef dish called kitfoh.
is that super hot?  I think I've had it before.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points