News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2013, 09:35:31 PM
Thing about volleyball players, the shape is nice but just on too large a scale.

See, I am 6 foot.  I don't mind the back court players, or even the average front court players.  I do think that some of the 6-4 blockers might be a bit intimidating, but one has to to take risks or there is no reward.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Indoor is sexier than beach.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 09:57:33 PM

Agreed.  Sand can be a turn off when it is on the naughty bits.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

I love me some volleyball shorts, but female soccer players are the hottest in general.

The Brain

Women's long jump is where it's at.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

My cats really smell.  I wonder if it's my olfactory senses returning.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2013, 09:57:33 PM

Agreed.  Something about beach volleyball makes it seem overly tanned and skanky.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2013, 07:07:07 PM
Can anyone explain why the prices quoted on amazon.co.uk are different from the ones when they're in my cart?  Is it that UK law requires that VAT be added to the list price, then when they realize I'm not a subject of David Cameron's Sliding Albion, they take it out?

Nope. For me VAT is calculated after shipping charges are added.

Also, it's a basket over there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on December 08, 2013, 10:32:06 AM
http://mentalfloss.com/article/54048/heres-how-crazy-long-german-words-are-made

QuoteHere's How Crazy-Long German Words are Made

German is known for its extra long compound words. When Mark Twain complained that some German words were "so long they have a perspective," he was thinking of words like Freundschaftsbezeigungen (demonstrations of friendship) and Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen (general states representatives meetings). Long German words were in the news this year when many sources reported that Germany had "lost its longest word" because the European Union removed a law from its books called (*ahem*): Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz (the law for the delegation of monitoring beef labeling).

But Germany had not in fact lost its longest word, because the process for forming these words is an active, productive part of the language, and the potential exists for creating words even longer, if so needed in the moment. How does that process work?

This lively animation takes you, step by step, through what's involved in creating Rhababerbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbarbärbel, a completely valid (and probably never before uttered) word.

The video is in German, but that shouldn't deter you. The artwork makes it pretty clear what's happening, meaningwise. Here are a few clues to help you follow the steps:

1. There's a girl named Barbara.

2. She is known for her rhubarb cake.

3. So they call her "Rhubarb Barbara."

4. To sell her cake, she opens a bar.

5. It is frequented by three barbarians.

6. They have beards.

7. When they want to get their beards groomed they go to the barber.

8. He goes to their bar to eat some cake, and then wants to drink a special beer.

9. You can only get his special beer at a special bar that sells it.

10. Where the bartender's name is Barbie.

11. She's the Barbie of the bar where the beer of the beard barber for the barbarians of Rhubarb's Barbara's bar is sold. But all in one word.

12. At the end, the barbarians, the barber, Barbie, and Barbara all go to the bar for a beer. You might need one too after this. Prost!

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/54048/heres-how-crazy-long-german-words-are-made#ixzz2mtiRdxWZ
--brought to you by mental_floss!

Rhabarberbarbara

Hottentottenpotentatenpatentantentütentittenstottertrottelattentäterbeutelrattenlattenkatenretterrattertatterzitterknatterantischitterritispille
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

:yucky:

QuoteCDC to Wisconsin: Please Avoid 'Cannibal Sandwiches'

(Newser) – "Cannibal sandwiches," an appetizer featuring raw, lean ground beef served on cocktail bread, may be a Wisconsin tradition, but they are not safe, health officials said, noting that more than a dozen people became ill after consuming them last holiday season. Health officials confirmed four cases tied to E. coli bacteria and 13 likely cases in people who ate the sandwiches at several gatherings late last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a report issued this week. The meat came from a Watertown market that later recalled more than 2,500 pounds of meat.

Cannibal sandwiches were tied to outbreaks in Wisconsin in 1972, 1978, and 1994. The appetizer, also called "tiger meat," "steak tartare," or simply "ground beef," is usually a simple dish of lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion, says Milwaukee historian John Gurda, who served it at his 1977 wedding reception. Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat. Says the owner of a butcher shop in Kenosha: "It's like eating a cold hamburger that's a little on the raw side."

http://www.newser.com/story/178742/cdc-to-wisconsin-please-avoid-cannibal-sandwiches.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

This isn't my creation, but I thought it was funny.  :D

Dr. Seuss' Beowulf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Geat
Down in Geat-land
Liked Heorot a lot...

But Grendel,
Who lived north of Geat-land,
Did NOT!

Grendel hated Heorot! The whole Heorot Hall!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows it all.
It could be his arm wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be , perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

But,
Whatever the reason,
His heart or his feet,
He stood there MidWinter's Eve, hating the Geats,
Staring down from his den with a sour, Grendel pall
At the warm lighted smokeholes below on the Hall.
For he knew every Geat down in Geat-land he spied
Was busy now, drink great goblets of mead.

"And they're eating their lutefisk!" he snarled with a sneer.
Tomorrow's Midwinter! It's practically here!"
Then he growled with his Grendel fingers nervously drumming,
"I MUST find some way to stop MidWinter from coming!"

For,
Tomorrow, he knew...

...All the Geat Men, Women, and pups
Would wake bright and early. They'd rush for their cups!
And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!
That's one thing he hated! The NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 09, 2013, 10:14:25 AM
:yucky:

QuoteCDC to Wisconsin: Please Avoid 'Cannibal Sandwiches'

(Newser) – "Cannibal sandwiches," an appetizer featuring raw, lean ground beef served on cocktail bread, may be a Wisconsin tradition, but they are not safe, health officials said, noting that more than a dozen people became ill after consuming them last holiday season. Health officials confirmed four cases tied to E. coli bacteria and 13 likely cases in people who ate the sandwiches at several gatherings late last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a report issued this week. The meat came from a Watertown market that later recalled more than 2,500 pounds of meat.

Cannibal sandwiches were tied to outbreaks in Wisconsin in 1972, 1978, and 1994. The appetizer, also called "tiger meat," "steak tartare," or simply "ground beef," is usually a simple dish of lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion, says Milwaukee historian John Gurda, who served it at his 1977 wedding reception. Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat. Says the owner of a butcher shop in Kenosha: "It's like eating a cold hamburger that's a little on the raw side."

http://www.newser.com/story/178742/cdc-to-wisconsin-please-avoid-cannibal-sandwiches.html
I used to eat chunks of raw ground beef back when I was little.  When my mom was making pelmeni, I was helping with the meat grinder, and I always took some small soft chunks.  It actually tastes surprisingly well.  Now that I look back on it, I'm surprised how I didn't give myself food poisoning.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

So, many Fords.

If I ever buy a Pick up, I'm buying a Tacoma/Tundra.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.