And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2013, 09:37:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2013, 09:11:41 PM
My grand-uncle Paul passed away tonight.  94 years old.  Guam, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima.  Hell of a Marine.

Salute to him.  That generation didn't hold up signs saying they didn't want to follow orders.

I'd love to follow some orders that involve fighting fascism with incendiary bombs.  It really does underline the fact that we've lost more jobs than we've created. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

My grand-uncle Paul passed away tonight.  94 years old.  Guam, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima.  Hell of a Marine.

Sorry.  :hug:

sbr

Salute to him.  That generation didn't hold up signs saying they didn't want to follow orders.

Indeed.  If they weren't the greatest generation, they were still a whole lot better than any that have come after them.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: sbr on September 02, 2013, 10:59:16 PM

Indeed.  If they weren't the greatest generation, they were still a whole lot better than any that have come after them.

More like easiest generation.  "What'd you do, grandpa?" "FOUGHT HITLER."  "What'd you do, dad?"  "Avoided the draft in Vietnam, became a successful civil servant."  "And what did you do?"  "Survived as America fell apart because there was nothing else I could do."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I was helping my mom with computer stuff for one of her classes, and she tells me how she really doesn't care what the parts of the interface are called, and I'm thinking "Man, I can see why IT guys always have a chip on their shoulder".  It must be really annoying to have people go out of their way to be ignorant of what you are trying to help them with.  I imagine it would be akin to having someone call you up to help them find their pens, and never taking the time to learn what the word "Desk" means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2013, 05:28:57 AM
I was helping my mom with computer stuff for one of her classes, and she tells me how she really doesn't care what the parts of the interface are called, and I'm thinking "Man, I can see why IT guys always have a chip on their shoulder".  It must be really annoying to have people go out of their way to be ignorant of what you are trying to help them with.  I imagine it would be akin to having someone call you up to help them find their pens, and never taking the time to learn what the word "Desk" means.

:lol:

"You know, that thingy."
"You mean a 'drawer'?"
"Whatever."

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 05:30:50 AM

"You know, that thingy."
"You mean a 'drawer'?"
"Whatever."

Exactly.  You spend 8 hours doing that everyday and you're going to hate everyone you work with as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Meh, most IT people have a certain sense of entitlement and superiority combined with territorialism, even when they're dealing with people that speak their language.  It's just the kind of personality the field attracts.  Not the most gregarious, people-person bunch.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 06:33:41 AM
Meh, most IT people have a certain sense of entitlement and superiority combined with territorialism, even when they're dealing with people that speak their language.  It's just the kind of personality the field attracts.  Not the most gregarious, people-person bunch.

True.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

This is hour 2 of our email server being down at work. Lame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 04:27:57 AM

More like easiest generation.  "What'd you do, grandpa?" "FOUGHT HITLER."  "What'd you do, dad?"  "Avoided the draft in Vietnam, became a successful civil servant."  "And what did you do?"  "Survived as America fell apart because there was nothing else I could do."

I'm sure that CdM's uncle was reflecting on how easy things were while on Iwo Jima.

I think several languishites have fought al qaeda/taliban/people in random islamic countries passed off as al qaeda and the taliban while America fell apart. There are still alternatives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2013, 06:20:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 05:30:50 AM

"You know, that thingy."
"You mean a 'drawer'?"
"Whatever."

Exactly.  You spend 8 hours doing that everyday and you're going to hate everyone you work with as well.

They are often actually proud of their ignorance.

Of course I don't know how to drive a car! That's for pussies! I ride a horse like a real man!  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers