News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

How much $$$ does a giant flag cost?

jimmy olsen

Ask the NY Port Authority.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

My grand-uncle Paul passed away tonight.  94 years old.  Guam, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima.  Hell of a Marine.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

He lost all his memories, all his records and photos from the war, as well as his brother's, in Sandy.  Basement flooded, destroyed everything.  He didn't care so much, but you simply can't replace that stuff.  Big chuck of Ryan family history, wiped out by water.

Phillip V

While too late for that now, one of my ongoing projects is scanning all old family papers and photos for online storage.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2013, 09:11:41 PM
My grand-uncle Paul passed away tonight.  94 years old.  Guam, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima.  Hell of a Marine.

:console:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2013, 09:30:11 PM
He lost all his memories, all his records and photos from the war, as well as his brother's, in Sandy.  Basement flooded, destroyed everything.  He didn't care so much, but you simply can't replace that stuff.  Big chuck of Ryan family history, wiped out by water.

That makes me appreciate my Mom's genealogy stuff she did. Also I better make more backup DVD's of her stuff....

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2013, 09:34:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2013, 09:30:11 PM

That makes me appreciate my Mom's genealogy stuff she did. Also I better make more backup DVD's of her stuff....

Yeah, one of my aunt's on that side of the family was big on doing that, and apparently had unsuccessfully tried to pry as much of that stuff away from him as possible over the years.
But, it's tough to tell a 94 year old Marine what to do.

Damned shame.

PDH

Salute to him.  That generation didn't hold up signs saying they didn't want to follow orders.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

:console:  Hats off to him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2013, 09:37:38 PM
Salute to him.  That generation didn't hold up signs saying they didn't want to follow orders.

Apparently when he was making arrangements he told the family in lieu of flowers, donate to the Marine Corps Scholarship Fund instead.  Gold and scarlet to the end.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2013, 09:52:05 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 02, 2013, 09:37:38 PM

Apparently when he was making arrangements he told the family in lieu of flowers, donate to the Marine Corps Scholarship Fund instead.  Gold and scarlet to the end.

See, that is what I am talking about.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM