News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2013, 03:01:34 PM
Bears usually scare off ok. It's when there are cubs around that the mothers will get aggressive.

If bears have become accustomed to humans though they might not be scared away.

Black bears though usually aren't a huge risk - rarely ever touch humans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 02:30:56 PM
I'm not sure I'm sorry that I'm not as manly as you CC>
If CC keeps hanging around bears, then at some point you will literally be more manly than CC.

sbr

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2013, 02:39:14 PM
I'm not sure why you'd have to shoot the poor bear?

I like shooting things.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

My Dad saw a nasty, mange-covered fox Saturday at my sister's place while they were gone.  This goddamned fox didn't budge when he had my sister's other dog with him, it merely sat down and watched them from about 20 feet away.  So Dad figured this fox was either A) sick or B) crazy or C) both, especially with the Barclay the German Shepard around, so he went back home to get his gun, came back but the fox was gone.

Guess what was found dead this AM in my sister's barn, smelling to high heaven?  :x

The correct answer is A: SICK.

Ed Anger

I assume Barclay sat there with his tongue hanging out.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 19, 2013, 05:39:15 PM
My Dad saw a nasty, mange-covered fox Saturday at my sister's place while they were gone.  This goddamned fox didn't budge when he had my sister's other dog with him, it merely sat down and watched them from about 20 feet away.  So Dad figured this fox was either A) sick or B) crazy or C) both, especially with the Barclay the German Shepard around, so he went back home to get his gun, came back but the fox was gone.

Guess what was found dead this AM in my sister's barn, smelling to high heaven?  :x

This is exactly why you should carry at all times.  You never know when you might run into someone needing medical help.

CountDeMoney

She's quite the sentinel of the property, but she's become more even-tempered about the wildlife over there, what with catching the bumper of a hatchback the day she chased after a doe across the street a couple years ago.  If it's not fucking with her food bowl, it's not worth it.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 19, 2013, 05:39:15 PM

I've encountered a couple foxes acting like that.  Figured they were rabid & kept my distance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

My yard is mostly squirrels, with the occasional raccoon walking towards the trash can like owns the place.

And skunks.  :glare:

With no garden this year, the rabbit seems to have retreated.

CountDeMoney

For two seasons, my sister had a Momma Duck nesting behind the gas tank by the back door.  My niece named her Mr. Quackers, and they got great footage of her taking her ducklings to the pond when they were hatched.
But all it takes is the nest to get raided once by something that has a hankering for omelettes for a momma duck to never nest there again.

Ed Anger

We are overrun by Canadian Geese in Southwest Ohio. The fuckers are shit machines. The kids like watching them, but the assholes think they own the place.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 19, 2013, 05:58:56 PM
For two seasons, my sister had a Momma Duck nesting behind the gas tank by the back door.  My niece named her Mr. Quackers, and they got great footage of her taking her ducklings to the pond when they were hatched.
But all it takes is the nest to get raided once by something that has a hankering for omelettes for a momma duck to never nest there again.

Nature tooth and nail. 

My garden seems to be the place old birds come to die, they turn up, feathers whitening, for a season or two, becoming increasingly inactive, till a few months later I find the remains of a cadaver around the back of a shed or some such place.

Guess I should take it as a compliment that the place is so peaceful ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2013, 06:04:59 PM
We are overrun by Canadian Geese in Southwest Ohio. The fuckers are shit machines. The kids like watching them, but the assholes think they own the place.

Sounds like the Chinese families on "New Student Check In Days" here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Sounds like it should be on a billboard someplace:  The Mongers Garden, an avian rest home and hospice.