And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 12:21:47 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2013, 12:18:55 PM
Is there any American politician without an American flag lapel pin?

I've never seen Hillary wear one.  :hmm:

Women's business suits don't always have lapel holes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2013, 02:20:42 PM
See, this is why I couldn't volunteer at a shelter. It would break my heart, and I'd end up having half a dozen dogs and a couple of cats at home within a week. Instead I donate to assuage my conscience.

Let's see, in today's "Dealing With The Public" file:

Had a woman surrender one of her two cats, because she "can't afford it anymore", what with her new baby and all.  When she left, I asked the manager why if the cats were there first, why didn't she surrender the baby instead.
Had a guy come in, said he was getting rid of "his wife's" two cats because "they're pissing all over the place and I ain't cleaning it up anymore"; he was getting rid of them today, or "they're going in the lake".  Since we don't take surrenders without an appointment and we're maxed out capacity-wise, he's taking them to another shelter, where they'll walk the Green Mile in approximately 3 to 5 days. 

The animals, I can deal with.  It's the people I'd rather see euthanized.

Grey Fox

Yeah, well atleast the kids aren't out to kill you the for the 2-3 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2013, 01:32:44 PM
Yeah, well atleast the kids aren't out to kill you the for the 2-3 years.

No, but at least the cats aren't going to wreck the family car and drop out of college, either.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Superman is worthier of praise than Jesus.  Jesus also suffers for having a pretty weak rogues' gallery.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 12:22:38 PM
:D

Because they hate America?

Not the language i would have chosen, but also not that far from the truth.

Actually not sure about Bernie.  It's possible to hate everyone that wears a suit but still not hate America.

I liked having Kucinich as a senator.  I'd never give him any sort of unilateral power, e.g. the presidency or even a cabinet appointment, but he has a place where his ability to actually do anything is diluted by calmer heads.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 03:55:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 12:22:38 PM
:D

Because they hate America?

Not the language i would have chosen, but also not that far from the truth.

Actually not sure about Bernie.  It's possible to hate everyone that wears a suit but still not hate America.

I liked having Kucinich as a senator.  I'd never give him any sort of unilateral power, e.g. the presidency or even a cabinet appointment, but he has a place where his ability to actually do anything is diluted by calmer heads.

Hmm, didn't know you followed Ohio state politics between '95-'97 :P

Anyway I'll agree that he did make things less boring while he was in Congress.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 03:55:44 PM

A moderately sophisticated bot could have done what he did.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 03:53:47 PM
Superman is worthier of praise than Jesus.  Jesus also suffers for having a pretty weak rogues' gallery.

I dunno. Some masked freak or mad scientist on the one hand versus the freaking Roman Army on the other? The latter is a lot scarier.  :lol:

Not to mention Satan himself.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

And God the Father is like a supervillian without mere delusions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 03:53:47 PM
Yeah, the fact that Superman is a Jew helps too.... Judaism is a lot less crazy of a religion than Christianity is. :showoff:

..and yes, know-it-alls, I know that technically Jesus was also a Jew. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Prince Philip still traffickin' in the truth.   :lol:

QuotePrince Philip cracks Filipino nurse joke

The Duke of Edinburgh told a nurse from the Philippines that her country must be "half empty" - because so many of her compatriots have come to the UK to work for the NHS.

He made the remark during a visit to Luton and Dunstable Hospital where he unveiled a £5.5m cardiac centre.

"The Philippines must be half empty - you're all here running the NHS," the prince told the nurse, who laughed.

A hospital spokesperson said the duke's visit had been "hugely motivational".

The 91-year-old royal, who called himself "the world's most experienced curtain puller", was said to be in a "jovial" mood and asked when the hospital would get a helipad to save him a journey by car.
'Cosmopolitan town'

The hospital spokesperson would not comment on the duke's conversation with the nurse but said the hospital had not held a recent recruiting campaign in the Philippines, which had a population of 94.8 million in 2011.

"Luton is a very cosmopolitan town and the working staff at Luton and Dunstable Hospital reflects that," the spokesperson said.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council said just over 16,000 of the 670,000 nurses in the UK were from the Philippines.

The Duke of Edinburgh is well known for his outspoken and sometimes controversial comments.

During a state visit to China in 1986, he told a group of British students: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed".

In 1994 he asked an islander in the Cayman Islands: "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?"

Four years later, speaking to a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, the duke said: "You managed not to get eaten, then?"

Responding to Tuesday's visit to Luton, Buckingham Palace said it would not comment on a private conversation.

Ideologue

Quote from: CalJudaism is a lot less crazy of a religion than Christianity is.

Is it?  Judaism makes slightly more sense as a logical construct, but Jewish laws have a high tendency to be retarded.

Also, I don't think Clark Kent is Jewish.  I guess the Kents could be, but interestingly I don't think I've ever read a Superman story where either Jon's or Martha's faith is made explicit.  Obviously Siegel and Shuster were, and they drew on their own culture to create Superman, but assuming that Superman is Jewish is like assuming that Indiana Jones is Jewish.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

The Kents are about as goy as them come.