News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2013, 04:54:16 PM
Though not all Jews agree on whether there is a "heaven" to go to.  ;) The afterlife isn't the focus ... point is that non-Jews are just as "righteous" as observant Jews if they follow those laws.
My understanding of the Jewish notion of the afterlife is as follows:  there is no concept of Hell, and when Jews die they go to this nothingness place... like Heaven's vestibule or something... and kind of hang out in suspended animation waiting for the world to end at which time they get to go to Heaven. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
Have you ever seen any of the old Testament? He sounds entirely like a prick.
To me he sounds just.  What's wrong with destroying the world in a flood because everyone turned gay?  :)

Admiral Yi

The reason Jews are cool is because a) they learned how to tip, b) they're smart and funny, and c) they let us fuck their daughters.

derspiess

So even the old ones tip?  If so that's pretty cool.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:58:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
Have you ever seen any of the old Testament? He sounds entirely like a prick.
To me he sounds just.  What's wrong with destroying the world in a flood because everyone turned gay?  :)

Odd because then the man he saved was a drunk who went on to be perved on by his own son.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 05:01:54 PM
So even the old ones tip?  If so that's pretty cool.

I don't know about 80 year old dudes living in Yonkers.  The Jews I saw in DC tipped.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:57:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2013, 04:54:16 PM
Though not all Jews agree on whether there is a "heaven" to go to.  ;) The afterlife isn't the focus ... point is that non-Jews are just as "righteous" as observant Jews if they follow those laws.
My understanding of the Jewish notion of the afterlife is as follows:  there is no concept of Hell, and when Jews die they go to this nothingness place... like Heaven's vestibule or something... and kind of hang out in suspended animation waiting for the world to end at which time they get to go to Heaven. :hmm:

Opinions differ ... but there is no end of the world. The Jewish notion of the messianic age is a lot different. The Jewish messiah is supposed to be a great leader who unites everyone here on earth in peace and harmony, that kind of thing. No world ending involved.

There is a tradition believed in by some that the dead will come to life again, literally - some Jews historically wanted to be buried in Jerusalem so they could come to life soonest (that's where the messiah is supposed to show up). Not sure exactly how that is supposed to jibe with there being a heaven.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
Prince Philip still traffickin' in the truth.   :lol:

Dude's older than the hills. Gotta cut him some slack! :D

Yeah, when you're that old and the wife is really the one in charge, that's your chance for some free fire opportunities.  Which is why I'm looking so forward to a Hillary Clinton presidency.   :D

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 05:18:38 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
Prince Philip still traffickin' in the truth.   :lol:

Dude's older than the hills. Gotta cut him some slack! :D

Yeah, when you're that old and the wife is really the one in charge, that's your chance for some free fire opportunities.  Which is why I'm looking so forward to a Hillary Clinton presidency.   :D

Slick Willie Gone Wild.  :D

Ed Anger

I broke the challenger out of the garage this afternoon. She had been under a tarp all winter and she was rarin' to go. I rode her hard through the back roads. I gave her all the gas she wanted and she purrrred.

Afterwards, I wiped her down with a shammy.  Then I wiped myself down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 05:18:38 PM

and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

CountDeMoney

Goddamn, I hate my downstairs neighbors.  I'd wish a gas leak explosion on them, but I'm in the blast zone.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on