Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
Prince Philip still traffickin' in the truth.   :lol:

Dude's older than the hills. Gotta cut him some slack! :D
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 04:36:28 PM
Quote from: CalJudaism is a lot less crazy of a religion than Christianity is.

Is it?  Judaism makes slightly more sense as a logical construct, but Jewish laws have a high tendency to be retarded.

Also, I don't think Clark Kent is Jewish.  I guess the Kents could be, but interestingly I don't think I've ever read a Superman story where either Jon's or Martha's faith is made explicit.  Obviously Siegel and Shuster were, and they drew on their own culture to create Superman, but assuming that Superman is Jewish is like assuming that Indiana Jones is Jewish.

Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish- not too shabby.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: CalJudaism is a lot less crazy of a religion than Christianity is.

Is it?  Judaism makes slightly more sense as a logical construct, but Jewish laws have a high tendency to be retarded.

The nice part is that they don't expect anyone else to follow the laws except Jews, and they don't proselytize.

fhdz

Caliga

Also, I don't think Clark Kent is Jewish.  I guess the Kents could be, but interestingly I don't think I've ever read a Superman story where either Jon's or Martha's faith is made explicit.  Obviously Siegel and Shuster were, and they drew on their own culture to create Superman, but assuming that Superman is Jewish is like assuming that Indiana Jones is Jewish.
The Kents aren't Jews, and Clark Kent isn't Jewish but... Kal-El is.  Krypton was a Jewish planet. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:44:59 PM
The Kents aren't Jews, and Clark Kent isn't Jewish but... Kal-El is.  Krypton was a Jewish planet. :)

Well, that definitely explains kryptonite :P

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:43:45 PM
The nice part is that they don't expect anyone else to follow the laws except Jews, and they don't proselytize.
Don't Jews also think righteous people will go to heaven, even if they aren't Jewish, and even if they don't adhere to Jewish ritual (e.g. kosher laws, etc.)?

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:46:20 PM
Well, that definitely explains kryptonite :P
Kryptonite is anti-Semitic  :mad:

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

They worship Rao, a sun deity.  Are you sure it's not an Egyptian planet?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
Don't Jews also think righteous people will go to heaven, even if they aren't Jewish, and even if they don't adhere to Jewish ritual (e.g. kosher laws, etc.)?

Yes.

While not *completely* universalist, they make a lot more allowance for people of other faiths getting into heaven than Christianity or Islam.

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 04:48:35 PM
They worship Rao, a sun deity.  Are you sure it's not an Egyptian planet?
Kryptonians didn't speak Jewish, they spoke Kryptonian.  DUH.  'Rao' means 'El' in Kryptonian. :)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:43:45 PM

Yup, the Noahide laws.

Though not all Jews agree on whether there is a "heaven" to go to.  ;) The afterlife isn't the focus ... point is that non-Jews are just as "righteous" as observant Jews if they follow those laws.

They have a Biblical source. The notion is that Noah (of the Ark fame) wasn't a Jew (of course - Jews didn't exist yet in that mythical timeline) and was the common ancestor of humanity. Noah, it says in the Bible, was "righteous". Thus, it has to be the case that anyone following the same basic laws as were followed by Noah is also "righteous" now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:49:19 PM
Yes.
See why Judaism is cool?  Their God isn't a complete prick.  He's got a lot of dumb rituals, and it's nice to honor him by mindlessly repeating them, but you don't have to go through with that if you don't feel like it. :showoff:

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:55:00 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:49:19 PM
Yes.
See why Judaism is cool?  Their God isn't a complete prick.  He's got a lot of dumb rituals, and it's nice to honor him by mindlessly repeating them, but you don't have to go through with that if you don't feel like it. :showoff:

Oh, he's actually a complete prick. That's the most enticing part about Judaism - a realistic god :D

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 04:55:00 PM

Have you ever seen any of the old Testament? He sounds entirely like a prick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.