News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The American couple looking in would be shocked at the interior. OHMYGODITDOESN'THAVEGRANITECOUNTERTOPS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Mostly empty?  That's a damned shame.  Would make for awesome loft properties.

Windowless lofts.

I think it would be awesome.  And soundproof. :kidnapvictim:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2013, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Mostly empty?  That's a damned shame.  Would make for awesome loft properties.

Windowless lofts.

I think it would be awesome.  And soundproof. :kidnapvictim:

The walls are usually around 10 ft thick, though the upper floors can have 20-25ft walls.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Ron Jeremy's in ICU with an aneurysm near his heart. Could this be the end for the hedgehog?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 30, 2013, 10:18:28 PM
Ron Jeremy's in ICU with an aneurysm near his heart. Could this be the end for the hedgehog?

The man who's had sex more that the cumulative total for all those who've ever posted on Languish.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

The south/north/true north divide:

Contrary to first impressions Scotland is actually shown on this map. It is just so dark a shade of black you can't see it.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2013, 10:53:00 PM
The south/north/true north divide:

Contrary to first impressions Scotland is actually shown on this map. It is just so dark a shade of black you can't see it.

I've been to Newcastle, that looks about right  :lol:

What's with the "00" county near London?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on January 31, 2013, 04:56:33 AM

I've been to Newcastle, that looks about right  :lol:

What's with the "00" county near London?

I'm guessing that's the Wembley area, which has quite a high Asian community (largely Hindu/Sikh(?)), so much less drinking of alcohol there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Well, surprise, surprise, surpriiiise!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

This would make a good movie. BTW, not true story.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/01/rogue-sailor-leads-army-of-retribution-through-yemen/
QuoteRogue Sailor Leads Army of Retribution Through Yemen

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Days after violent riots swept Yemen and brought death and destruction on a scale that would dwarf the Syrian uprising, grainy YouTube videos and frantic phone calls have caught the watchful eye of Pentagon officials.

Initially dismissed as the ravings of khat-addled villagers, stories emerged of demonic, larger-than-life warriors laying waste to huge swathes of the countryside in a never ending thirst for blood.

The sudden spike in horrific reports from the Arabian Peninsula prompted the US Department of Defense to call a press conference. They announced that during protests at the U.S. embassy, Navy Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) 3rd class Melvin Goldstein, who was dispatched to Yemen for liaison duties with the State Department, had gone missing.

A washout from the Nuclear Power Training Command, Goldstein's job included translating for State Department leadership and promoting military partnerships between both nations' diplomatic communities. It was confirmed that he went missing immediately after the demonstrations ceased.

However, intelligence sources doubted the subsequent claims of his capture by local militias.

No proof-of-life was provided, and there was no evidence of a struggle at the site of the event. This was confirmed today when Pentagon and CIA reported that an Arabic-speaking United States sailor was leading an "Army of Retribution" through the country, burning and pillaging dozens of towns in a punitive expedition. Riding captured horses, Goldstein and his force of several thousand warriors, recruited from the southern, anti-government tribes of the desert nations, dragged captured "freedom" fighters dozens of miles before executing them in full view of the villagers clustered on the walls of an enemy town.

In tactics reminiscent of Genghis Khan, those locations that resist are cleansed of their populations, while those that pay homage to Goldstein and the United States are spared, adding to the glory of his empire. Although the U.S. Navy condemns the Petty Officer's senseless slaughter of villagers who are believed to be supporting the government, they did announce that violent attacks against State Department officials in the region have dropped by 100%.

Wielding a battle-axe stained with dried blood from hundreds of victims, Goldstein has only been photographed from afar; the pictures found on cameras retrieved from mutilated bodies recovered in the blackened remains of yet another town that had the temerity to resist the man commonly referred to by the locals as the "Scourge of God."

Dozens of cities have fallen, with the only reminder of their existence being a large American flag planted atop pyramids of corpses and debris.

The U.S. Navy has issued formal recall orders for Goldstein but the complete destruction of what little infrastructure remained in Yemen, combined with a 75% decrease in the local population, has made it difficult to contact the warlord.

Sources now report that Goldstein's reign of terror has culminated in a siege of Sa'ana, with the rebel leader demanding the heads of those responsible for the uprisings in the desert nation. A Marine Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST) deployed to the region in the wake of the attacks has remained on site to protect U.S. interests against further violence.

When the commander of the team was asked if there were any plans in the works to stop the bloodshed being wrought against the people of Yemen by Goldstein and his horde, the officer replied, "Not at this time."

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 12:18:54 PM
Well, surprise, surprise, surpriiiise!!

Lol, watch, d...grumbler's gonna think your avatar is a picture of Tate Forcier.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.