The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 03, 2013, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2013, 03:57:16 AM
Jews are kosher for racist jokes because nobody actually believes any of the racism.

:hmm:

He does say the damnedest things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2013, 05:35:27 PM
Because professional offense-takers are the bane of society.
I've definitely run into the reported phenomenea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2013, 09:15:53 PM

You've run into someone who has defended their use of a racist joke against Mexicans by saying that they like Mexican food?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2013, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2013, 09:15:53 PM

You've run into someone who has defended their use of a racist joke against Mexicans by saying that they like Mexican food?
Don't go cherry picking.

I'm talking of the broader phonemenea the author defines

QuoteHipster racism involves making derogatory comments with a racial basis in an attempt to seem witty and above it all. Specifically, the idea is to sound ironic, as in "I'm allowed to say this because of course I'm not racist, so it's funny." It's an aspect of a larger part of the hipster culture, which wants to seem jaded and urbane and oh-so-witty. Using language which is viewed as inflammatory or not appropriate is supposed to push the boundaries and make someone look edgy, but it only really comes across that way to people who buy into that system. To everyone else, it's just racist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Really really don:t think its a hipster thing at all. Hipsters are usually the type to get a knee-jerk white knight reaction at the slightest hint of racism.
And the idea really doesnt explain why it is the Jews that mainly get it, whilst groups against whom there is still a large amount of real racism don:t get quite the same level of ironic hate.
No, don:t think that is it at all.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Father of the Year Nominee:

QuotePolice: Florida mom forced to watch estranged husband kill their sons

A South Florida man strangled his two young sons with a rope at his estranged wife's house and then used a gun to shoot one of the boys several times before he shot himself to death, authorities said Saturday afternoon.

Police say Isidro Zavala, 45, early Saturday went to the Boynton Beach home of his wife with the intention of killing her and their children, Eduardo Zavala, 12, and Mario Zavala, 11.

At the crime scene, detectives found a blue bag with a second firearm, extra ammunition, duct tape, cutting shears and a note addressed to Zavala's oldest son, who was not at the residence during the killings, police said. 

Isidro Zavala carried out his plan, but with an exception: He spared his wife, Victoria Flores Zavala, 36, so that she could suffer, police said.

"What Mrs. Zavala had to go through -- watch her children killed before her -- is probably the most horrific thing you could ever imagine, at least for me," said Boynton Beach Police Chief G. Matthew Immler, saying that he himself is a parent.

The motive for the killing "is just speculation at this point," Immler said.

Victoria Flores Zavala contacted police, who arrived at her house in the 400 block of Southwest Eighth Avenue about 1:50 a.m. Saturday.

Officers found one child dead in a back screened patio area. A second child was found dead in the kitchen dining room area. Officers found Isidro Zavala's body in the kitchen, police said.

Victoria Zavala said that her husband killed their children, police said. She said she and her husband had been separated and that he no longer lived in the house.

She told detectives that she was watching TV when she heard commotion in the house, went to check on her children and saw Isidro Zavala choking one of his sons, police said.

Then he killed them. Mario was the boy who was shot repeatedly, police said. The mother had tried to stop her spouse.

"She tried fighting him off and begged him to kill her and not the children," Boynton Beach police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said in a press release. "He told her she was going to stay alive and suffer the loss of them."

Detectives obtained a warrant to search the house, as well as a house in the 1100 block of Southeast Third Street, where Isidro Zavala had been living, police said.

The Zavalas have a 19-year-old son who does not live with his family and was not there when the killings occurred, police said. The note found at the crime scene addressed to him said something to the effect that "he was a good son," police said.

Detectives have called the state Department of Children and Families to investigate. "It should be noted that there is no history of reports of domestic violence or abuse noted at the house," Slater said.

The Zavala couple married in 1993, records show. In 1999, the pair signed a $73,700 mortgage on the home where the killings occurred, Palm Beach County records show.

In October last year, Victoria Flores Zavala filed for divorce from her husband in Palm Beach County, a case that records showed was still listed as pending.

Immler called Saturday's case "an unusually brutal type of murder," but said such murder-suicide cases unfortunately have been known to happen.

"And certainly I've seen it over the years of being a police officer, that there are mentally disturbed people out there who commit these types against their own family members, against their own loved ones," he said.

The police chief turned his attention to the surviving Zavalas.

"Hopefully, as time passes, perhaps their wounds will heal. I doubt it," he said. "You know, I don't believe you could ever recover from something like this.

"Hopefully, the surviving Zavalas can get the help they need and somehow go on with life."

jimmy olsen

Interesting.

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16796402-what-really-made-mary-ingalls-go-blind?lite

QuoteWhat really made Mary Ingalls go blind?
By Melissa Dahl, NBC News

Scarlet fever plays the villain in some of the best children's books: It got "Little Women's" Beth March. It got the child in "The Velveteen Rabbit" (although the kid survives, so, really, the fever got the stuffed rabbit). And it robbed Mary Ingalls, sweet sister of "Little House" series author Laura Ingalls Wilder, of her sight.

Or so we were told. But today, the journal Pediatrics asserts that it wasn't scarlet fever that caused Mary's blindness -- it was viral meningoencephalitis, an inflammatory disease that attacks the brain.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
Interesting.

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16796402-what-really-made-mary-ingalls-go-blind?lite

Scarlet fever plays the villain in some of the best children's books: It got "Little Women's" Beth March. It got the child in "The Velveteen Rabbit" (although the kid survives, so, really, the fever got the stuffed rabbit). And it robbed Mary Ingalls, sweet sister of "Little House" series author Laura Ingalls Wilder, of her sight.

Or so we were told. But today, the journal Pediatrics asserts that it wasn't scarlet fever that caused Mary's blindness -- it was viral meningoencephalitis, an inflammatory disease that attacks the brain.

I'll file this in "Who Gives A Shit".  Thanks, Tim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 04, 2013, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
Interesting.

I'll file this in "Who Gives A Shit".  Thanks, Tim.

:hmm: