Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2012, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Why is Ocean's Eleven/Planet of the Apes counted as sequel and not as adaptation?

Good point, but it still highlights the increasing lack of imagination guts in Hollywood.

fyp

I think it's less an issue of lacking imagination than "playing it safe". Heck, you can also look at computer games and their AAA titles - how many sequels vs. new properties?

The bigger question is "Who cares?"  Conceptually, I like sequels (Return of the Jedi), I like adaptations (Blade Runner), I like remakes (The Thing).  Practically, sequels (The Matrix Revolution), adaptations (Batman Begins), and remakes (Total Recall :bleeding:) can suck, but I'm not really put off by a system that gives me more of what I liked before and expands universes I'd like to see again.

There's still plenty of original shit getting made anyway.  Avatar, Moon, Inception, Kill Bill, and probably a hundred others.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Comparing my recent salary raise to the similarly recent statistics I conclude two things:

-now I earn almost twice of the average Hungarian income
-the average Hungarian income isn't enough for shit

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I'm only 40% over the average disposable household income in Vienna. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I'm an educated Swede. I make too little to live on and too much to die from.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on September 20, 2012, 04:08:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2012, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Why is Ocean's Eleven/Planet of the Apes counted as sequel and not as adaptation?

Good point, but it still highlights the increasing lack of imagination guts in Hollywood.

fyp

I think it's less an issue of lacking imagination than "playing it safe". Heck, you can also look at computer games and their AAA titles - how many sequels vs. new properties?

The bigger question is "Who cares?"  Conceptually, I like sequels (Return of the Jedi), I like adaptations (Blade Runner), I like remakes (The Thing).  Practically, sequels (The Matrix Revolution), adaptations (Batman Begins), and remakes (Total Recall :bleeding:) can suck, but I'm not really put off by a system that gives me more of what I liked before and expands universes I'd like to see again.

There's still plenty of original shit getting made anyway.  Avatar, Moon, Inception, Kill Bill, and probably a hundred others.
say what? Batman Begins is the best Batman film ever.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Batman Begins is silly and bad.

Eddie Teach

As usual, you're both wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm eventually going to watch it again since it came with all my Nolan movies, so at some point I may rethink my opinion, but that last third is really, really bad, undoing the good Year One adaptation that had previously been going on.

Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow definitely deserved better.  That guy was genuinely frightening.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2012, 09:24:19 AM
Comparing my recent salary raise to the similarly recent statistics I conclude two things:

-now I earn almost twice of the average Hungarian income
-the average Hungarian income isn't enough for shit

So, what you are saying, is that you still can't give two shits?  :P

DGuller

Can anyone?  Personally, after giving one shit, I need some time to recharge.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2012, 09:39:43 AM
say what? Batman Begins is the best Batman film ever.

Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson disagree with you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius