News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2012, 07:07:19 AM
I am sceptical regarding the figures for Catholics. I've never lived in the Bavarian countryside of course, but 20% regular attendance? That seems a lot.

I can't think of anybody who attends church regularly to be honest.

Neither can I, but I guess it depends on whether you're in a rural area, and how high the amount of people who are not in a church is.

The numbers for Schleswig-Holstein seem realistic, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

So I had to call the noodleheads at Verizon, since I usually have speeds around 15 down/5 up, but I'd been crawling along at less than 1mbps down for the last couple days, fucking with my streaming. 
Guy came over, swapped out a bad connector out at the street, now I'm getting 25/5.  Wooties.
He earned his $10 tip to go get something to eat.

Josephus

My ex-wife was 4 ft.10.

She wasn't perfect.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

How exactly does church membership work in Hunnistan?

Cute graphics BTW.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2012, 02:24:23 PM
How exactly does church membership work in Hunnistan?
You have to distinguish between two different aspects of church membership.

First is how the state defines church membership: The German quasi-state churches, mainly the Roman Catholic and the Lutheran church but also some smaller ones like the Central Council of German Jews, are organized as statutory corporations under public law. That allows them to use the internal revenue service to levy the church tax from their members. If you want to end your church membership, you have to declare that to your local authority and that will mean the internal revenue service no longer levies the church tax. You usually have to pay a small administrative fee for that bureaucratic act. You become a member by declaration of your parents at birth. I guess adults become members by checking the appropriate field on your tax card. I don't think the internal revenue service checks whether the church in question actually considers you a member.

Second is how the churches themselves define membership. I guess every church has its own rules.

Admiral Yi

So everyone who pays the church tax does so completely voluntarily?  That's a little odd.  I was under the impression there was some inevitabiity about it.  Either you check the Luthern, Catholic, Muslim, or Jewish box; one way or another they'll get your money.

Any connection between membership (the Fiskaltaxgemeineamt defintion) and having a church wedding?  E.g. does paying the tax entitle you to have a wedding in a church?  Does anyone do church weddings? 

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2012, 03:26:06 PM
So everyone who pays the church tax does so completely voluntarily?  That's a little odd.  I was under the impression there was some inevitabiity about it.  Either you check the Luthern, Catholic, Muslim, or Jewish box; one way or another they'll get your money.
You can check "none". A lot of Christian sects like Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses also do not levy any church tax on their members. The Muslims are not organized in the necessary institutions to allow for a church tax.

QuoteAny connection between membership (the Fiskaltaxgemeineamt defintion) and having a church wedding?  E.g. does paying the tax entitle you to have a wedding in a church?  Does anyone do church weddings? 
I doubt it entitles you to a church wedding as that's probably in the discretion of the preacher. But I assume that it is a usual precondition. Church weddings seem to be reasonably commonplace, but non-church weddings aren't unusual either.

FunkMonk

Got a hankerin' for a chick fil-a. Reckon I'll head on out.  :ccr
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 09:56:41 AM
So I had to call the noodleheads at Verizon, since I usually have speeds around 15 down/5 up, but I'd been crawling along at less than 1mbps down for the last couple days, fucking with my streaming. 
Guy came over, swapped out a bad connector out at the street, now I'm getting 25/5.  Wooties.
I'd kill for that connection.  I'm rolling with between a 4ish/.8 and 7/.9.  Fuck you Time Warner.  You're terrible. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 22, 2012, 06:04:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 09:56:41 AM
I'd kill for that connection.  I'm rolling with between a 4ish/.8 and 7/.9.  Fuck you Time Warner.  You're terrible. <_<

My time Warner 20 mbit connection frequently exceeds that speed.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Also, time Warner now has the nfl network.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2012, 06:53:26 PM
Also, time Warner now has the nfl network.
I know.  I'm rather pleased by that.  I'm presuming the Redzone channel only functions when games are on?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 22, 2012, 06:54:29 PM
I know.  I'm rather pleased by that.  I'm presuming the Redzone channel only functions when games are on?

You would be correct.

Except Michael Vick is throwing 2 interceptions right now, as we speak.

katmai

Yet still beating the Ravens. Imagine that.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 22, 2012, 06:58:35 PM
Yet still beating the Ravens. Imagine that.

Go fuck yourself and your Filthadelphia filth, you filthy fucking refugee from Camden nigger.