Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2012, 06:27:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2012, 06:11:44 PM
Patrick Stewart's Battle for Cable Saps His 'Will to Live'

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/patrick-stewarts-battle-cable-saps-live-154244759--abc-news-celebrities.html

:lol:

Real question here: Are cable providers in Europe as terrible and hated as they are in America?

In Vienna you have two main companies - one offers tv/broadband internet by phone the other by "normal" cable. I'm with the latter, and while their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, the quality of the product is fine. Also, getting a technician out is not too big a hassle, but you may have to wait a week or so. If you give them enough advance notice (2, 3 weeks) that you're moving to a new place you can usually get a guy to install the stuff on the relevant date.

That said, I've cancelled the tv side of my subscription as I hardly watch TV anymore, and the bits I do I can stream/download from the intertubes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've just realised a valuable new market....google earth advertising.
Looking at newcastle on google earth the big fat sports direct logo on the roof of the stadium is clearly visible. Surely there's money to be made in largeish buildings selling their roof space for satellite advertising....
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2012, 05:58:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2012, 05:35:16 PM
Were they impersonating Americans at the polling place?  Didn't think they were open so early in Iowa.

The story said they had voted once before and were registered now to vote.

It was a four sentence story on the radio, so don't expect me to give you War and Peace.

Early (absentee) voting starts up sometime late this month.

ID REQUIREMENT IS EVIIIIIIL!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone

PDH

PBS newshour had this headline:  "Final Stretch Marks Shift in Money Race"

It was about politics, not cellulite.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

lol, you got bad vibes when you're booed in Florida by the AARP, man.

MadImmortalMan

The perfect woman. Enjoy.  :P

The dimensions of a perfect woman are: Five feet 5 inches in height, weight 128 pounds. Arms extended should measure from tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger just 5 feet 5 inches (the height). The length of her hand should be a tenth of that, her foot a seventh, the diameter of her chest a fifth. From her thighs to the ground she should measure just the same as from her thighs to the top of her head. The knee should come exactly midway between the thigh and the heel. The distance from the elbow to the middle finger should be the same as from the elbow to middle of the chest. From the top of the head to the chin should be just the length of the foot, and the same distance between the chin and the arm-pits. A woman of this height should measure 24 inches around the waist, 34 about the bust, if measured under the arms, and 43 if measured over them. The upper arm should measure 13 inches; the wrist 6 inches. The calf of the leg should measure 14½ inches; the thigh 25; the ankle 8.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

About time we got that solved.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I'll get my tape measure and look around town if I can find anyone like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

US Government wins the IGNobel Prize for literature:

QuoteLITERATURE PRIZE: The US Government General Accountability Office, for issuing a report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports.

:lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Seems an acquaintance of mine has been trolling the London iphone5 launch hysteria.

LONDON iPHONE 5 MADNESS: 'You must be CRAZY to buy Apple'

High-fiving shoppers spark bewilderment from normal folk

By Anna Leach • In Odds and Sods • At 10:51 GMT 21st September 2012

Giggling Apple fanbois queuing for the new iPhone 5 in London gave Apple Store staff high-fives as a man bellowed at them: "Are you mad?!" The bewildering scene marked the start of another Apple iThing launch, and another day of eyebrow-raising antics on the streets of London and beyond.

"Why are you shouting 'iPhone 5 iPhone 5'?" bellowed the man as blue-shirted store workers yelled "iPhone 5! iPhone 5!" while running up and down the line of punters waiting to buy the new iOS 6 smartphone from Apple's Regent Street store.

"Are you mad?" the bloke exploded again at them as they jogged past clapping their hands above their heads and slapping palms with the eager fanbois. "Would you sell the iPhone if you weren't getting paid to do it?" he added.

"Yes," said one store worker. And the hyped up Cupertino cultists continued jogging back and forth, shouting, applauding and high-fiving everyone. (Nobody tell that to John Browett, Apple's new cost-cutting head of retail ops.)

HIGH FIVE! HIGH FIVE!

A protester with a megaphone turned the mood a little sour at the back of the iPhone 5 queue, which curled around Hanover Square in Blighty's capital city, by trolling hundreds of shoppers with an appeal for the factory wage slaves who built the shiny new mobe.

The iPhone queue round the back of the first corner in Regent Street, London

The crowd initially responded to jibes about Samsung from Danny the megaphone man, but the hordes fell silent as he got onto the subjects of Apple's corporate dominance and labour rights and the iPhone supply chain.

"China has a one child policy," he shouted to the crowd, "which is a problem because we need as many Chinese people as possible, to assemble iPhone 5s."

Danny, who runs the Youtube channel Spiritual Entertainer, told us that he liked to address groups of people as part of an art project.

The madness only continued further up.

:D

rest of article here:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/21/iphone_5_queue_london_launch_day/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2012, 09:37:23 PM
Danny needs a beatin'
But so does everyone who owns an iPhone5.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Forgot who said this first, but it went something like:

"If you're lining up overnight to buy an Iphone---you're not as cool as you think you are."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Oktoberfest started today.  I got a liter of Paulaner Oktoberfest from the golden keg, plus a couple additional liters after that.  Good times
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall