News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2012, 07:53:38 AM
Played pool with an American yesterday. Didn't realise American rules were so different. Suffice to say they suck. The freely putting the ball anywhere if you miss thing kind of ruins the game, feels super cheap.

The pot the white with the black thing sneakily killed me as its fun and isn't a rule issue at home. <_<
That's not part of the rules.

Have no idea what the last sentence means.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2012, 08:18:11 AM
Played pool with an American yesterday. Didn't realise American rules were so different. Suffice to say they suck. The freely putting the ball anywhere if you miss thing kind of ruins the game, feels super cheap.

The pot the white with the black thing sneakily killed me as its fun and isn't a rule issue at home. <_<

They cheated me?
You do the regular two shots thing?
Thought it seemed a bit of a game breaker.

Last bit- he said if you're onto the black and you pot the white too then you've lost. In the version of the game I'm used to that doesn't matter at all and lots of people try to pot the white too just for the extra fun and finality. When there's drinks riding on the game it occasionally even counts as a doubler- though that is just something with a group of my friends, doubt it is well spread.

There was no money or anything on it so I let him go with saying he won. I know different though. And meh.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2012, 08:34:02 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2012, 08:18:11 AM

They cheated me?
You do the regular two shots thing?
Thought it seemed a bit of a game breaker.

Last bit- he said if you're onto the black and you pot the white too then you've lost. In the version of the game I'm used to that doesn't matter at all and lots of people try to pot the white too just for the extra fun and finality. When there's drinks riding on the game it occasionally even counts as a doubler- though that is just something with a group of my friends, doubt it is well spread.

Two shot thing?

If by pot you mean that the cue ball (white) goes in instead of the eight ball on the last shot, then yes that means you lose. And it's called a scratch were I'm from.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Rules I know - you miss hitting one of your balls, hit an opponent's ball first, pot the white, etc... opponent get two shots. If you pot the white they can only place it in the kick-off semi-circle place.
Rules this guy knows- if that happens the opponent only gets one shot but he can put the ball anywhere he wants on the table first.

I far prefer the two shots thing. Feels less cheap. And reminds me of Subbuteo.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 06, 2012, 03:47:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2012, 07:09:52 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 05, 2012, 07:04:26 AM
Winter in Rock River...brrrrr.  They have a couple of trees there to move the wind around in unpredictable patterns.  7000 feet up, flat, desolate, cold.  Even Dig Dug can't save it.

I dunno, man...think about it.  Inconspicuous little watering hole, out in the middle of absolute nowhere. There's something incredibly romantic about that.

Of course, I'd probably fuck it all up with the locals anyway.

*reads new sign* "'Tuesday night is Warhammer 40K Night'? What is that, malt liquor?"

Seedy, there are probably a couple dozen places like that for sale in any given moment in Alberta.  The only hotel/bar in some small town of a couple hundred people.

They're for sale because they lose money.

Besides, if he is going to buy some remote watering hole, it should be in Alaska or the Yukon for that whole "Northern Exposure" vibe.

Wyoming?  More of a cow manure vibe.

I'm almost 100% positive the hotel in Ross River yukon could be acquired pretty cheaply.  It also has the only liquor license, and the only restaurant, for the entire town.

I could even put in a good word for you. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2012, 08:56:38 AM
Rules I know - you miss hitting one of your balls, hit an opponent's ball first, pot the white, etc... opponent get two shots. If you pot the white they can only place it in the kick-off semi-circle place.
Rules this guy knows- if that happens the opponent only gets one shot but he can put the ball anywhere he wants on the table first.

I far prefer the two shots thing. Feels less cheap. And reminds me of Subbuteo.

Scratching on the 8 ball is automatic loss, not negotiable in the US.

There are variants on the scratching rule and people usually specify which one they want to follow before they play.  Table scratch (you miss everything) nobody cares about in a bar.  Normal scratch (you pocket the white) is usually set the ball behind the break line or "ball in hand" which means set it anywhere.  Ball in hand is for when you all suck or you're playing with girls.

Josephus

Haven't played Subbuteo in years.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2012, 12:49:18 PM
Scratching on the 8 ball is automatic loss, not negotiable in the US.

There are variants on the scratching rule and people usually specify which one they want to follow before they play.  Table scratch (you miss everything) nobody cares about in a bar.  Normal scratch (you pocket the white) is usually set the ball behind the break line or "ball in hand" which means set it anywhere.  Ball in hand is for when you all suck or you're playing with girls.

Ball in hand behind the head string is a bit more than that, because if using that rule you have to shoot at an object ball that is on the other side of the head string.  Ball in hand anywhere on the table is the official BCA scratch rule in every game except straight[1].  I think the APA is the same on that.  Rotation (Chicago) and 9-ball are partially broken without this rule; 8-ball opens up to some pretty dickish behavior without it as well.

I won't play with people who don't use some sort of ball in hand rule for table scratches.  Those are usually the assholes who will shoot the cue ball 3 feet until it kisses one of their balls and call that a shot.

[1] The exception is scratch on the break, where the other player can choose to make the scratching player re-break or take ball in hand behind the head string.

sbr

Found on another forum

A massive panoramic image of the Sistine Chapel:

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2012, 06:28:34 PM
Quoteat just $99.99

:yucky:
At what price would you be interested in it?  $599.99?

Ed Anger

I'd rather get a Sepp Dietrich action figure.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2012, 08:34:20 PM

Do you really need another one?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2012, 09:39:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2012, 08:34:20 PM

Do you really need another one?

He doesn't have the "Malibu Sepp" model.