News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2011, 07:10:31 AM
I just found out that Ramsses II was a redhead.

Lol, history says fuck you Sharpton.

Nonsense.  Rameses II was bald.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2011, 06:31:44 AM
Saw a pheasant fly across the interstate yesterday on the way to the mall.  First time I've seen a pheasant in the wild.
I see those here occasionally.  Oddly, I've never seen a wild turkey... and I used to see them all the time up in Massachusetts.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2011, 07:45:27 AM
I see those here occasionally.  Oddly, I've never seen a wild turkey... and I used to see them all the time up in Massachusetts.

That fits with their reputation as cunning bastards.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2011, 08:51:06 PM
I'm writing a constitutional law essay.  It turns out I'm a flaming conservative :o :(

And very angry at Canada <_<

What prompted this?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2011, 07:45:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2011, 06:31:44 AM
Saw a pheasant fly across the interstate yesterday on the way to the mall.  First time I've seen a pheasant in the wild.
Their population is exploding. I don't think I ever saw one in northern Rhode Island until like 2005 or something like that, and while I was back this fall I saw six at once in someones yard! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2011, 07:10:31 AM
I just found out that Ramsses II was a redhead.

Lol, history says fuck you Sharpton.

So was Malcolm X.  So fuck you right back, cracker ass bitch.

HVC

They now have highlighters you can erase by rubbing out. technology is grand.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Lettow77

Diminishing rations means i'll be going out for a trip. Campus is dead, so it won't be anything close. I hope it'll be safe- i've chosen something that won't have me crossing a main street. Last time I did that I was left with the impression I never wanted to do so again. Nothing to Ara Ara! about.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on December 19, 2011, 10:26:25 AM
They now have highlighters you can erase by rubbing one out. technology is grand.

:hmm:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2011, 07:58:15 AM
What prompted this?
I've read a few articles for various bits of constitutional law and came back to one of them for my essay.  In most of them Canada seems to be the outlier of the common law world which is sad.

My essay (which was a disaster) was on prerogative power and the Canadian court's position seemed convoluted.  The effect was practically the same as if they'd gone along with everyone else, but they'd gone a bit weird on the theory - in my view :(

It feels like the court's showing off a bit :P
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I always wondered, can you use precedent from other common wealth nations, or just your own (assuming they don't conflict).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on December 19, 2011, 11:44:31 AM
I always wondered, can you use precedent from other common wealth nations, or just your own (assuming they don't conflict).

You can use precedent from any country in the world or Mars for that matter, it's just merely persuasive.

American courts have historically accorded significant weight to persuasive authority from England, though.  I assume Canadian courts have too.
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2011, 11:41:18 AM
I've read a few articles for various bits of constitutional law and came back to one of them for my essay.  In most of them Canada seems to be the outlier of the common law world which is sad.

My essay (which was a disaster) was on prerogative power and the Canadian court's position seemed convoluted.  The effect was practically the same as if they'd gone along with everyone else, but they'd gone a bit weird on the theory - in my view :(

It feels like the court's showing off a bit :P

Now you know how the rest of the EU feels about the UK.  :P

Admiral Yi

Anyone else see that "come visit the Gulf coast" commercial during one of the football games yesterday?  Ended up with "brought to you by BP," which I found odd.