Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on December 20, 2011, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2011, 12:20:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on December 20, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
Germans address people they don't know well by their last name ("Herr Smith"). However as far as I can tell, in most other cultures people are addressed by their first name. So when we have a meeting at work with people from other countries, we'll usually address them by their first name, but often keep addressing the Germans by their last name. Or even worse you call the Germans by their last name when talking or writing German, but use the first name in English. It's weird.

Koreans can't cope with that level of familiarity so in English they usually refer to someone as Mr. [First Name].

So somewhere in western South Korea a middle school prinicple is talking to Mr. Timmy.

Principle?
The principle was taught English by Tim.  :contract:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Germans address people they don't know well by their last name ("Herr Smith"). However as far as I can tell, in most other cultures people are addressed by their first name. So when we have a meeting at work with people from other countries, we'll usually address them by their first name, but often keep addressing the Germans by their last name. Or even worse you call the Germans by their last name when talking or writing German, but use the first name in English. It's weird.

Hm, it's sort of company policy to be friendly, so I use the first name of colleauges all around the world. But since we do have the same distinction in our langue like Germans do (the whole "sie" thing, don't know the definition, and way too drunk to check), it still feels a bit ackward at first when I contact people much older than me.

On the other hand, English-speaking culture has certainly left a mark. I am over 30 and really past generations surely approached their similarly-aged countrymen at the same age group formally (the equivavlent of using the last name in English), but me (and as I notice, others of my generation) have almost completely abandoned that to a more casual manner, unless you are meeting someone in a very offical way.
All in all, I sense a cultura shift in that here.

MadImmortalMan

12:18 PST ransquawk: A Doctor on TV this morning said to have inner peace we should always finish things we start we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked around my house to find things I'd started hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Vodka Citron, a bottle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiuminun scriptins, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum i luvum
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

A vendor I've never really used just sent me a $180 gift - a camera that takes pictures underwater.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

'Tis the season for vendor gifts. There are a couple funny BOFH episodes about it. My tally this year so far:

A coffee themed gift basket with coffee, coffee chocolates, coffee toffee and coffee cookies

A $50 gift card

A wine and cheese basket with various charcuterie and cheese and four bottles of wine

A $100 gift card for Amazon

A box with a bottle of The Macallan 12yr and two glasses

A pack with toothbrushes, pill containers, lotion, lip balm and other crap like that (from Blue Cross lol )
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Did a bit of bike fettling this afternoon, but weirdly I've still only ended up with one usable bike, the others:

Hybrid 1 - need to rebuild bottom bracket or put in a sealed unit.
Road bike - needs two new brake callipers, it's nice to be able to stop sometimes
Hybrid 2 - shagged drive train, all needs replacing.
Folder, not suitable weather.

Maybe I should convert Hybrid 2 into a single speed ??

edit:
I forgot another one, the bike trailer is inoperable as the small tyres are impossible to get off the wheels, I need to borrow a motorbike/car tire iron. :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2011, 06:58:59 PM

Absolutely.  No doubt about it.  Stirling idea.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2011, 07:06:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2011, 06:58:59 PM

Absolutely.  No doubt about it.  Stirling idea.

Are you any good a redishing wheels ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Koreans can't cope with that level of familiarity so in English they usually refer to someone as Mr. [First Name].

So somewhere in western South Korea a middle school prinicple is talking to Mr. Timmy.
That's Mr. Tim, thank you very much.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2011, 07:39:34 PM

That's Mr. Tim, thank you very much.
:o Stern!
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2011, 07:18:42 PM
Are you any good a redishing wheels ?

The worst.  I suck.  Hopeless.

Admiral Yi

While I was outside grabbing a smoke the ladies across the way came out in their sexy Santa and elf outfit, presumably for an office party.

I approve of the sleazy aspects of Christmas. :thumbsup:

Ed Anger

I like the college girl elves at the mall.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive