And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2011, 03:12:55 PM

The worst are male Ugg boots :ph34r: :bleeding:

Male Ugg boots?  Uggs for men?   I shudder to think.  That is beyond the pale.  :weep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 15, 2011, 08:06:33 AMIMO it takes a special kind of derangement to play handball goalie. Those guys need to have crazy reflexes and get hit really fucking hard constantly while wearing no special protection at all. I don't know where the gob is supposed to be, but if you mean the face or the crotch, then then answer is yes, they do get hit a lot.

On that I agree. I've known a few goalies and they were positively deranged.

Handball is not quite as silly quick as basketball, and not so slow as football, though when the offence is trying to look for a whole in the defence it can be a few seconds of passing the ball back and forth.

As said, it's pretty popular in Schleswig-Holstein (the only major professional sports teams there, with Kiel and Flensburg, plus Hamburg around the corner), and even small towns will usually have a couple of teams. I spent many a saturday going to the sports hall across the street and watch two or three games of friends playing while having a few beers and having a bratwurst.

Even caught the occasional Champions League game when I was studying near Kiel. The big nations in Europe, I think, are Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, Spain, Ex-Yugo. IIRC South Korea is also pretty strong.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

My dad was on the national team. :frog:

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2011, 02:01:06 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
Hey man, you gots to FEEL with it. Blindness is moe~

Also it lets you appreciate how loud black people are
I mean really what a vibrant and boisterous race

I mean - don't you appreciate how incredibly offensive that is to people with actual vision loss?

It's like going out on the street in blackface because you want to experience what it is like to be African American.

I'm not sure on that. Over here, there's been experiences, hosted by blind people in pitch black surroundings where seeing people are guided through by blind ones. There was also "Dinner in the Dark", where you would have dinner in pitch black, waited on by a blind person. The main goal was to raise awareness to how blind people live, cope, and actually can live a pretty normal life despite their impediment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 02:03:32 PM
True story: we have a blind girl with a tapping cane on campus, but she's black and as such
Blind AND black?  What's she doing at UT-Martin, as opposed to Harvard? :hmm:

Alas, she isn't lesbian. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Just took a lengthy sorting hat quiz online. I am: Slytherin.   :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2011, 01:10:45 AMEven caught the occasional Champions League game when I was studying near Kiel. The big nations in Europe, I think, are Germany, Denmark, Sweden, France, Spain, Ex-Yugo. IIRC South Korea is also pretty strong.

Yup, those are the top dogs. International titles are almost always rotated between France, Germany, Sweden, Croatia and Spain, with Denmark, Iceland, Poland and Russia appearing here and there. Non European teams are usually quite shafted in competitions, I've never seen one reaching the final stages of any tournament. For some reason it must be somehow popular in arab countries, I remember in the last world cup Spain had to play against two or three teams from there, and in 2015 the world cup will be held in Quatar.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

You know if you're gonna spam me, make an effort:

Here's a spam I just got today:

Make acquaintance with your allruing nearby girl

Hoot and alluring next door wmoan is marvellous in beid
Catch her private lifee ona http://[removed]

I think IKK is behind this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Went to that interview for scanning and counting shit today.

Prognosis: can point scanner at shit, can count shit.

Outcome: Tentatively hired.  Move on to next round of proving ability to scan, count shit.

Slargos Interest Addendum: only white person in the room.

Pay: $7.50/hr, possibly more because of my management experience and bachelor's degree.  Travel time to site not paid until after 2 hours of travel time.

Start date: two weeks from now at best.

Ideologue Reaction: has no mouth, but must scream.  In all likelihood going to Ft. Worth to get trained at GS-9 step 1 rate, get inside track.

WTF: Apparently my cousin, a partner at a law firm, lives there.  I thought he worked as in-house counsel or as an associate or something like that.  Probably not much use, since I've literally not seen the guy in fifteen years and I am not admitted to the Texas Bar and also, in comparison to him, I suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

What's Fort Worth likes?  This looks like it could be good news.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Um he might be your only good chance to practice law.  Take the Texas Bar Exam and use your connection there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."