News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Man, I thought today was Monday.  I took a nap in the afternoon and woke up at six and thought it was six AM.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2011, 06:50:41 PM
It definitely is challenging in NASCAR, since NASCAR cars handle way, way worse than Indycars.  Once you're past the point when you can make it around the track with throttle fully down, without much effort, the challenge goes away.  In NASCAR, only Daytona and Talladega are such tracks, and these tracks only account for 4 out of 36 races.

I watched the crash video, and it looked insane. Not just from a danger perspective, but why would you run tiny indycars on a high speed oval? I can't imagine that would ever be a better product than Nascar, considering the cars are so much harder to see and can't take any contact.

I assume that this is a function of open wheel racing being non existant in this country, and they are running at high speed ovals built for stock car racing because those are the only quality venues out there?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

They have been racing open wheel cars on ovals like that here since NASCAR was confined to racing on the beaches in Florida.

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on October 16, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2011, 06:50:41 PM
It definitely is challenging in NASCAR, since NASCAR cars handle way, way worse than Indycars.  Once you're past the point when you can make it around the track with throttle fully down, without much effort, the challenge goes away.  In NASCAR, only Daytona and Talladega are such tracks, and these tracks only account for 4 out of 36 races.

I watched the crash video, and it looked insane. Not just from a danger perspective, but why would you run tiny indycars on a high speed oval? I can't imagine that would ever be a better product than Nascar, considering the cars are so much harder to see and can't take any contact.

I assume that this is a function of open wheel racing being non existant in this country, and they are running at high speed ovals built for stock car racing because those are the only quality venues out there?

Open wheel racing exist in America because Tony George like it however he's god damn idiot. Withou him Cart racing would be at top, not Nascar.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Fuck. I think it's Fuck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2011, 01:22:22 PM
Slow the fag down.

Not enough letters. See how it lines up with "Down"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

jimmy olsen

Winnipeg is cooler than I thought.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 16, 2011, 08:16:05 PM

Actually, you are quite wrong about that one.  NASCAR races on 1.5 mile tracks these days are almost guaranteed snorefests, whereas Indycar races on these tracks can be quite exciting, if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not, I like tracks where you have to lift off the throttle).  And, let's face it, everyone knows that in these races you're a millisecond away from a disaster, with the exposed wheels and all, and that adds to the drama and excitement. 

Racing has to be dangerous to some extent, no one would watch radio-controlled cars or sim-racing.  Watching drivers take risks is the core appeal of the sport.  It just doesn't have to be stupidly dangerous to the point of being manslaughter on the part of organizers, and that's what we had yesterday.

Ideologue

Quote001     PJN Asylum Officer (US Citizen) 09      92     

001     PJN Asylum Officer (US Citizen) 11      92     

001     PJN Asylum Officer (US Citizen) 12      ID     

Neat.  92's actually pretty high, right?  Especially if some Lynndie England hasn't applied for the job?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

I have done something to my right hamstring.  I can't take a full step without significant pain (forget climbing stairs like a non-cripple), I can't even really straighten it out right now.  Just sitting down, with it "resting" on the seat of a chair or whatever, hurts.   

This ever happen to anyone else?  What the hell did I do to this thing?  Fuuuuuuuuck.  The internet seems to be telling me "Grade 2 strain," and all the info about it sounds....sucky.  But I guess it's better than 3. Heh?

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
Slow the frog down?

Frogger never had much luck trying to cross the road.  Even if he gets past the highway there's still that river with logs and crocodiles and turtles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017