News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I hated that fucking game. Gorf was more my speed.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Big Centipede fan right here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2011, 01:29:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 16, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
I watched the crash video, and it looked insane. Not just from a danger perspective, but why would you run tiny indycars on a high speed oval? I can't imagine that would ever be a better product than Nascar, considering the cars are so much harder to see and can't take any contact.

I assume that this is a function of open wheel racing being non existant in this country, and they are running at high speed ovals built for stock car racing because those are the only quality venues out there?
Actually, you are quite wrong about that one.  NASCAR races on 1.5 mile tracks these days are almost guaranteed snorefests, whereas Indycar races on these tracks can be quite exciting, if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not, I like tracks where you have to lift off the throttle).  And, let's face it, everyone knows that in these races you're a millisecond away from a disaster, with the exposed wheels and all, and that adds to the drama and excitement. 

Racing has to be dangerous to some extent, no one would watch radio-controlled cars or sim-racing.  Watching drivers take risks is the core appeal of the sport.  It just doesn't have to be stupidly dangerous to the point of being manslaughter on the part of organizers, and that's what we had yesterday.

Why didn't Wheldon have a regular ride? I had actually heard of him, which is probably true of about 5 drivers. If they got 30+ cars into the field, he had to be one of the most marketable guys there. I'm somewhat curious where all those cars came from: I thought the league was racing about 10 cars for most races outside of Indy.

Also, did fans actually show up to this race (and are the grandstands mostly empty besides Indy)?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

I think I've found my house. :shifty:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 08:08:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2011, 08:07:02 PM

Why, did you misplace it?

Can't misplace what you don't own already.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 17, 2011, 07:46:32 PM
Why didn't Wheldon have a regular ride? I had actually heard of him, which is probably true of about 5 drivers. If they got 30+ cars into the field, he had to be one of the most marketable guys there. I'm somewhat curious where all those cars came from: I thought the league was racing about 10 cars for most races outside of Indy.

Also, did fans actually show up to this race (and are the grandstands mostly empty besides Indy)?
He was a good oval racer, but not so good at road courses.  That, and in general the health of the sport is very bad, so even good drivers can struggle to get rides.  He did raise his profile significantly after winning the Indy 500 this year in a one-off effort, which was a miracle, and in fact he signed a contract to drive again full time with Andretti a couple of days before he was killed.

As for the car count, this year the car count was pretty high by Indy standards, usually there were 26-28 cars in a race.  There were even more cars in this race because it was supposed to be a mega finale, with a $5 million challenge (ironically, Wheldon was the only one to take it up, which is why he raced, and why there was so much focus on him).  Also, this was the last race with the old death trap Dallaras, so the teams didn't care if they got wadded up in a crash, they were worthless after that race.  If they had an extra car lying around, they found a driver for it.  Of course, as it turns out, there was more to lose than just a car, but the series evidently just didn't think about it.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2011, 08:31:58 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 17, 2011, 07:46:32 PM

He was a good oval racer, but not so good at road courses.  That, and in general the health of the sport is very bad, so even good drivers can struggle to get rides.  He did raise his profile significantly after winning the Indy 500 this year in a one-off effort, which was a miracle, and in fact he signed a contract to drive again full time with Andretti a couple of days before he was killed.

As for the car count, this year the car count was pretty high by Indy standards, usually there were 26-28 cars in a race.  There were even more cars in this race because it was supposed to be a mega finale, with a $5 million challenge (ironically, Wheldon was the only one to take it up, which is why he raced, and why there was so much focus on him).  Also, this was the last race with the old death trap Dallaras, so the teams didn't care if they got wadded up in a crash, they were worthless after that race.  If they had an extra car lying around, they found a driver for it.  Of course, as it turns out, there was more to lose than just a car, but the series evidently just didn't think about it.

Very interesting. A cynical part of me wonders if they thought about it, and just didn't care.

If I wanted to get a car on the track, how much would that set me back? Roughly speaking.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2011, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2011, 08:08:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2011, 08:07:02 PM

Why, did you misplace it?

Can't misplace what you don't own already.
squat. if no one kicks you out it's yours ;) :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on October 17, 2011, 08:46:16 PM
If I wanted to get a car on the track, how much would that set me back? Roughly speaking.
Way too much.  Honestly, I have no idea how people can still find money to field them, the series gets no ratings at all.

On a related topic, I just came across a very prescient interview of Dan Wheldon.  At 6:00 mark, he discusses how rear wheel bumpers will make the cars safer.  That exchange was eerily prophetic, knowing how he got killed just a few months later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKHtVtG59A&feature=player_detailpage#t=356s

Razgovory

I keep thinking it's Joss Whedon who died, then I am saddened that it was not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 09:25:51 PM
Fuck off.  The Avengers is going to be good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 17, 2011, 09:27:05 PM

I'm tired of his goddamn fanboys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 11:15:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 17, 2011, 09:27:05 PM
I'm tired of his goddamn fanboys.
Meh.  I don't really interact with them much.  You should be more like me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Believe me, I would like to be.