And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2011, 02:41:34 AM
Lawtalkers and others might find this funny.  :lol:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19422_6-judges-who-went-completely-insane-bench.html

I liked the section about judges writing their sentences in verse and, one of them in the form of epic fantasy.  :lmfao:

Judge #3 was hardly insane.  The judgment cited in the article (and a few others from the same judge) are legal classics. :lol:

http://sls.sa.utoronto.ca/files/Bradshaw.pdf
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

i'm glad that the phone judge got fired. read the link his excuse was that his wife and he were going through difficulties. he should have been jailed for the same number of days as each person he arbitrarily jailed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2011, 02:41:34 AM
Lawtalkers and others might find this funny.  :lol:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19422_6-judges-who-went-completely-insane-bench.html

I liked the section about judges writing their sentences in verse and, one of them in the form of epic fantasy.  :lmfao:

It never ceases to amaze me that, in my relatively litigation-lite career, I've encountered at least two cases worthy of inclusion on that list ... the Martian Motion and the suit brought by Jesus.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

The only two stuff of judge silliness I can quote from Poland, that I know of, is a judge quoting "give unto Ceasar" in a ruling about the church's tax exempted status not applying to business activity, and another judge dismissing a claim for slander on the internet due to lack of jurisdiction. The latter thought the claim should have been brought to a court in Warsaw because, I quote, "the registered seat of the internet is in Warsaw". We had this ruling pinned to a "fun wall" at our office for over a year.  :lol:

Barrister

Well I did get called Machiavellian in court.   :menace:

And probably the most famous decision coming from an Alberta court is from the late, great Master Funduk:

Quote[50]                       McDonald is a decision by the Supreme Court of Alberta, Trial Division, now the Court of Queen's Bench. I am bound by decisions of judges of this court unless they have been overruled by our Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court of Canada, or unless there are contrary decisions by judges of this court, in which case I would face a dilemma (which I could probably "solve" by ordering a trial of an issue).

[51]                       Any legal system which has a judicial appeals process inherently creates a pecking order for the judiciary regarding where judicial decisions stand on the legal ladder.

[52]                       I am bound by decisions of Queen's Bench judges, by decisions of the Alberta Court of Appeal and by decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada. Very simply, Masters in Chambers of a superior trial court occupy the bottom rung of the superior courts judicial ladder.

[53]                       I do not overrule decisions of a judge of this court. The judicial pecking order does not permit little peckers to overrule big peckers. It is the other way around.

http://canlii.ca/en/ab/abqb/doc/1989/1989canlii3384/1989canlii3384.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Heh, this is a good opening paragraph, quoting Bleak House:

REASONS

[1]   "Jarndyce and Jarndyce drones on. This scarecrow of a suit has, in course of time, become so complicated, that no man alive knows what it means. The parties to it understand it-least; but it has been observed that no two Chancery lawyers can talk about it for five minutes without coming to a total disagreement as to all the premises. Innumerable children have been born into the cause; innumerable young people have married into it: innumerable old people have died out of it. Scores of persons have deliriously found themselves made parties in Jarndyce and Jarndyce, without knowing how or why; whole families have inherited legendary hatreds with the suit. The little plaintiff or defendant, who was promised a new rocking-horse when Jarndyce and Jarndyce should be settled, has grown up, possessed himself of a real horse, and trotted away into the other world. Fair wards of court have faded into mothers and grandmothers: a long procession of Chancellors has come in and gone out; the legion of bills in the suit have been transformed into mere bills of mortality; there are not three Jarndyces left upon the earth, perhaps, since old Tom Jarndyce in despair blew his brains out at a coffeehouse in Chancery Lane; but Jarndyce and Jarndyce still drags its weary length before the court, perennially hopeless."

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=%22bleak+house%22&language=en&searchTitle=Ontario&path=/en/on/onsc/doc/2009/2009canlii68472/2009canlii68472.html

Another Master with too much time on his hands.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

There's a lot of sweet semicolons in that text. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2011, 01:31:41 PM
There's a lot of sweet semicolons in that text. :wub:

That's Dickens for ya.  ;)

MadImmortalMan

Tomorrow is the Day of Rage. :anarchy:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2011, 02:30:18 PM

No one goes to Wall Street on Saturday, so who cares?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Every day is a Day of Rage.  It's exhausting.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Maybe I can shoot a hippie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2011, 02:30:18 PM

What are we raging against?

Everything. As long as mommy and daddy's credit card pays for the bandana to cover the face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive