News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Wow.  Daisy Fuentes is still smoking hot.

Admiral Yi

I was also unaware that Kay Sommersby had written a memoir about humping Ike.

Neil

The movie 'The Running Man' is becoming more and more plausible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

The more I read about Nixon, the more sympathetic I find him.  The man was so much different then other presidents in that he was not supremely self confident.  Despite being extremely competent and intelligent he never seems to have enough faith in himself, which I think led him to his downfall.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

According to the Russian think tank Indem bribes account for 20% of Russian GDP.  A Russian sociologist estimates that bribes rose from $33 billion at the time Putin came to power to $400 billion at the end of his presidency.

garbon

My mother just got back from Berlin yesterday and brought me fruit. Odd. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

The Pirate Party just won close to 9% in the Berlin city elections. :pirate Arrrr!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Saw my brother today.  Hadn't seen his car lately.  He now has several Justin Beiber stickers on it.  God knows why.  Gave him 50 bucks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Looked for the US debt thread.  Gave up after 4 pages.

Obama gave a mini speech today.  He promised to veto any bill that "reduces benefits for ordinary Americans without making millionaires and billionaires pay their fair share."  AFAICT this goes all the way to 11 on the posturing scale, since the chances of the supercommittee agreeing on a bill for him to veto are mathematically zero.

He also proposed reform of the tax code on what's being called "the Buffet Rule."  Millionaires and billionaires (i.e. anyone north of the Schumer line) would have to pay at least as much in taxes as a percentage of income as "ordinary Americans."

Fun fact: the word millionaire was invented in France during John Law's bubble.  Can't remember what the bubble is called.  West Indies bubble?  Louisiana bubble?

Tamas

Having the rich pay the same percentage in practice as the non-rich isn't exactly communism or class warfare you know.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 19, 2011, 02:42:16 PM
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Cerekk/unpatriotic

Notice the response when you guess the Red Sox.  :hmm:

The Marlins do not, in any way, shape, or form, consider their color 'blue'.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2011, 02:25:18 AM
Having the rich pay the same percentage in practice as the non-rich isn't exactly communism or class warfare you know.
Having the rich pay any taxes is economic warfare.  Raising middle class taxes and cutting entitlements to fund the tax cuts for the rich is just making the economy grow, though.  Welcome to US, the land where Republicans are shamelessly the party of oligarchs, and half the population is happy to be useful idiots for them.