News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

This has been an utterly rotten day. Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Thank you. It improved after 4pm.

Razgovory

I think Google may be threatening me.  Every time I go to to Google, a large arrow appears and points to the word "you".  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm not just imagining this am I?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 05:28:39 PM
I think Google may be threatening me.  Every time I go to to Google, a large arrow appears and points to the word "you".  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm not just imagining this am I?

Nope. It is that Google + crap.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2011, 02:25:18 AM
Having the rich pay the same percentage in practice as the non-rich isn't exactly communism or class warfare you know.

Agreed.  It is, however, dishonest to claim that their effective tax rate is because of "loopholes and accounting tricks that you and I don't enjoy."

I would even go so far as to say that the propensity of the Obama administration to pay for its programs (the ones that it didn't fund through deficit spending) and, now, to reduce the deficit through raising taxes exclusively on the rich does not constitute class warfare.

The point at which you start entering the gray area between class warfare and not class warfare IMO is when you first encounter anger towards the rich, as a class.  For example that article that Seedy posted, about the Congressman who wanted hearings held on CEO pay, "because they caused the financial crisis."  There are parts (all?) of the progressive wing of the Democratic party for whom the entire point of the excercise is to punish the rich for their wrongdoings.  They don't give a shit if the ostensible purpose is Keynsian stimulus, as with Obama's extension of the Bush tax cuts, or deficit reduction, as with his recent proposal.  All they care about is seeing the rich bleed.

So no, I don't think Obama is a class warrior, but he has a strong class warfare constituency and from time to time he has to pay them a certain amount of deference.

sbr

The fastest time in the 100m dash by a woman this year (10.76) would place 76th among Texas high school boys this year. 

AnchorClanker

The current record for ferret legging is 5 hours, 26 minutes.   :lmfao:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on September 20, 2011, 06:04:07 PM
The fastest time in the 100m dash by a woman this year (10.76) would place 76th among Texas high school boys this year.

It would have won gold in Athens 1896.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 06:06:27 PM
The current record for ferret legging is 5 hours, 26 minutes.   :lmfao:

I had to look that up. 

QuoteThe sport is said to involve very little "native skill", simply an ability to "have your tool bitten and not care".

From wikipedia.  I never knew such things could be.

MadImmortalMan

Those Solyndra boys are pleading the fifth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Today I`m sitting bored at the computer in a school with no students.
The kids get told not to come in due to the imminent typhoon danger.
Teachers are expendable.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2011, 05:54:28 PM

Fun fact: the word millionaire was invented in France during John Law's bubble.  Can't remember what the bubble is called.  West Indies bubble?  Louisiana bubble?

I remember reading this in The Ascent of Money and I forgot it too. Looking it up, it was the Mississippi Bubble.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2011, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2011, 05:54:28 PM

Fun fact: the word millionaire was invented in France during John Law's bubble.  Can't remember what the bubble is called.  West Indies bubble?  Louisiana bubble?

I remember reading this in The Ascent of Money and I forgot it too. Looking it up, it was the Mississippi Bubble.

I just remember getting that event in EU2. 

Ideologue

In the past two days, there have been two separate incidents where some guy has just walked right into my house.  The first time he was really lucky I wasn't armed, since he woke me up; the second time about an hour ago he was clearly drunk.  I guess it was the same guy, since both were black, about 5'10"?

I handled both incidents really stupidly, in that I didn't pick up my knife or other weapon and lay in wait, and an intruder with bad intent would have had opportunity to do me in (although the first time I at least scared the crap out of him with a half-awake Batman "swear to me" voice).

Got the deadbolt on now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)