Josquius

Strong and big is an attitude?
Appreciate the rewrite.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Seen this in some tourist shops here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 13, 2024, 02:17:06 PMStrong and big is an attitude?
Feels like a good description of Swedes (and Dutch).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 13, 2024, 02:28:02 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 13, 2024, 02:17:06 PMStrong and big is an attitude?
Feels like a good description of Swedes (and Dutch).

Swedes are big, but the only Dutch people I've met are admittedly tall, but lanky. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Holland is one of the few places on earth where I do not feel out of place  :D 

While there are some tall Swedes, on average they are not that tall.  At least from my experience walking around Stockholm.

Josquius

Yeah, swedes never struck me as particularly big. Pretty average.
The Dutch though absolutely.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2024, 01:53:51 PMYeah, you're probably right - I'll edit my post to reflect that :nerd:

It's a painting after an engraving by Joseph Friedrich Leopold (Augsburg), c. 1718-1726. My colleague, with whom I used to teach the global 18th century, used it in the classroom.

Syt should be able to see it when the Volkskunde museum reopens in Vienna.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 13, 2024, 06:11:46 PMIt's a painting after an engraving by Joseph Friedrich Leopold (Augsburg), c. 1718-1726. My colleague, with whom I used to teach the global 18th century, used it in the classroom.

Thanks for the additional detail Oex :cheers:

Syt, we expect a report from you one day :nerd:

HVC

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 13, 2024, 06:11:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2024, 01:53:51 PMYeah, you're probably right - I'll edit my post to reflect that :nerd:

It's a painting after an engraving by Joseph Friedrich Leopold (Augsburg), c. 1718-1726. My colleague, with whom I used to teach the global 18th century, used it in the classroom.

That's cool. Was this a common motif?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 13, 2024, 06:11:46 PM

Wasn't aware that it's housed there - never been to the Volkskunde Museum though it's literally 5 minutes walk from me. :blush:

In other news, several big museums in Vienna have finally come together to offer a joint annual ticket for 99.- (for reference, Kunsthistorisches was 53 by itself, Albertina required you to join its supporters network etc.).

Gives access to Albertina (incl. Albertina Modern), Upper and Lower Belvedere, Belvedere 21, KHM (including Schatzkammer, Weltmuseum, and others that are part of KHM), MAK (museum for applied arts), mumok (museum of modern arts), Naturhistorisches Museum, Austrian National Library (including papyrus collection, globes museum and a few others - apparendtly they have an Esperanto museum?  :huh: ), and the Technisches Museum (about technology, duh). Which is pretty good value, even if you just go to two or three of those a few times.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I think I will have enough apples this autumn. :unsure: You cannot see attachments on this board.

Grey Fox

I'm in NYC area for the week. I've heard more spanish and french on the street than  english.

It's also very dirty. People complain all the time about Montreal's metro. They should come here, get some perspective.

WTC memorial was very moving.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Yeah, lack of cleanliness is one of the biggest negatives to NYC.  Fortunately, in the Year of Our Lord 2024 they have finally completed the development of the advanced technology that is residential and commercial garbage cans. :P

Sheilbh

It comes up every few months on the European internet of the mayor New York announcing the introduction of wheelie bins like they've developed cold fusion :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!