News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote"The captains and crew of a vessel like the Bayesian are not chosen at random.

Well no, they are chosen by statistical inference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 31, 2024, 08:24:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2024, 05:07:07 PM70s are back. VW has a new van, but electric this time around.

*edit* nvm, late to the party. Came out like a year ago :lol:

Kinda wish it wouldn't be insane to ship over the Euro-version (it's a bit smaller than the super-sized US-spec variant)...I'd like to get one for my mom.

Looks like the euro version has arrived in the US? Still only the 3 row version though.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

I doubt it?  I know they've had Euro-specs bouncing round, but only as display/promotional models at car shows and such.

The Euro-spec is only 2 rows/10 inches shorter.  Because we're "super-size" 'Merica, we'll only get the 3-row.

Josquius

Lots of stuff in the news at the moment about GCSE (end of senior school) results time.
Fair enough for this time of year.
... But they feel the need to point out the kids leaving school this year were in their first year during lockdown.

Is it just that I had kids then (very possible) or has covid totally fucked up the flow of time? It does not feel that long ago.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Was looking for Jira add ins for Microsoft 365 and came across this gem of corporate gibberish. :D

QuoteImprove your time to benefit & drive success momentum with decisive action.

Strategy-AI solves the disconnected data needs between mid-market executives and the projects businesses use to deliver their strategies through what we call Strategy Profiling.

Strategic delivery has a nuance and complexity that exceeds portfolio management practices and processes all while strategic planning presents you with the complex interactions and cross team dependencies that don't easily fit into the nice and neat world of portfolio management's hierarchies currently implemented in business.

Strategy-AI for Jira is a fully embedded, immersive experience to visually prioritize on strategic factors side by side with the cyclic nature of agile scrum and kanban, while also letting you dynamically anticipate the impact of strategic priority changes - through Strategy Profiles.

With strategy profiles of your teams, projects and staff, you can visualize, prioritize and anticipate resource interactions, reduce conflict and decision paralysis, all while improving time and budgetary commitments. Essentially, a real world solution to delivering on-time and on-budget.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Apparently there are moves to stop use of the word pet :ultra:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/ce813eeyegzo

Really sounds like something the geordie daily mail would invent but nope
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I legitimately thought this was a crunchy animal rights thing at first.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

German navy is in London :o :ph34r:

Apparently the captain chooses the music and "there is no deeper meaning"...:hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Another eruption just started. Seems slightly bigger than usual.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2024, 05:06:11 AMThat's not what's odd. It's that on the same day one co-defendant is out jogging and fatally hit by a car and the other is on a yacht that sinks in an accident. Just very weird.

It's an extremely low probability event, unless for some reason your Bayesian prior was elevated.  :ph34r:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Just returned from a week on Crete, Greece. And while the prices certainly have changed from year to year, Greeks have not.

"In Greece, cash is king". I don't think I was a bad tourist, and what I brought back was mostly olive oil, because they know how to make them. That being said, I think Knossos was a tad too warm for me, since I forgot to take even one photo and almost melted.

The Greeks that managed to follow a conversation with a Norwegian speaking RP English were interested in why we don't have a minimum wage here in Norway.
"Mostly because we have trade unions", I replied. And they looked like :huh:, "What are those?".
And, I must say, Greek food, except the salad, really isn't great for keeping the weight down as a middle-aged man.
"Want some fried cheese topped with honey? And some fried lamb with some fries and a slice of tomato on top just to give the impression this is a dish that won't kill you in 12 months?"
"Sure, go at it!"

Josquius

I want to go see the historic bits of Greece someday.
Though I definitely want to do it in November. The heat is horrific.
██████
██████
██████