News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2024, 05:22:41 AMThat's my point.  People could stock up on baby formula.  But they don't.  Anti gouging laws are a requirement for stores to do your emergency stocking for you.  What do they get out of that?

My main point is that there is a difference between anti-gouging laws as i understand them (dealing with temporary spikes in markets due to emergencies) vs things like rent control (which are intended to be long term solutions).

As for your argument against anti-gouging laws, I've known you long enough to know I can't change your point of view.

We have some fundamental differences in our understandings of morality and social reality, and we've been over them enough times. I'm content to leave it at that.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Typically it goes just like the above exchange.

I write a bunch trying to engage in some level detail and nuance, and you come back with a couple of words or maybe sentences if you're feeling exceptionally garrolous.

In the end, you stick to your "so what if people die, it's not my problem" econ 101 libertarian principles - often without without acknowledging the points I make (as in the above exchange).

I'm fine with not changing your mind, but when you put 1/10th of the effort in I do and don't actually add anything to make it an interesting conversation for me, why bother?

You put in next to zero effort. Why should I? What's my quid pro quo?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2024, 06:17:39 AMTypically it goes just like the above exchange.

I write a bunch trying to engage in some level detail and nuance, and you come back with a couple of words or maybe sentences if you're feeling exceptionally garrolous.

In the end, you stick to your "so what if people die, it's not my problem" econ 101 libertarian principles - often without without acknowledging the points I make (as in the above exchange).

I'm fine with not changing your mind, but when you put 1/10th of the effort in I do and don't actually add anything to make it an interesting conversation for me, why bother?

You put in next to zero effort. Why should I? What's my quid pro quo?

I added that it is not the storeowner's moral responsibility to stock emergency supplies for you.  How does that not make interesting?  How is it possible to find a point dull but not dismissable?  You offer no refutation, you just opt out.

It's just a variation on the meritless bad faith argument.  Any time you respond to me with a point that I have no response to, I can just claim it's dull.

Jacob

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2024, 06:35:57 AMI don't follow.

My thesis is that when one is presented with a counter-argument they have three choices: they can refute the counterargument, they can concede the counterargument and incorporate it into their own thinking, or they can embrace cognitive dissonance and ignore.  That seems like the base rule of the dialectic to me.  Every point based on logic, reason, data and evidence must be acknowledged, under penalty of exiting the dialectic and proceeding on the basis of another system, perhaps religion, perhaps custom, perhaps ideology.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2024, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2024, 08:11:19 PMI know farm prices suddenly crashed after WWI, but I was not aware price floors were tried to address that.

i somewhat mispoke.  Roosevelt limited agricultural output to prop up prices.  Surely you've seen the pictures of pouring milk into the ground and destroying potatoes.

Ok I do vaguely remember that. I thought we were talking about some policy that was brought to an end by the Great Depression not some New Deal thing.

I guess if we ever find ourselves in a deflationary spiral again the government could be tempted to try something like that. But even there actively destroying supply seems like a better option than just setting minimum prices  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2024, 12:59:20 AMI tried Five Guys here once, was also not very impressed (we have IMO better alternatives, like a decent smash burger place now, or Weinschenke's burgers). Especially not for the price. And fully agreed on the salty fries. Jesus fucking Christ. Speaking of - that one burger place has fries how I love them. They double fry them, and they're nice and crunchy without being greasy. :mmm:

I went to Five Guys once.  I thought it was really quite good.  The fact they dump extra fries in your bag was a nice touch.

The prices though!  It was what you'd pay at a proper sit-down restaurant, not a "fast casual" joint.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Regional elections in Saxony and Thuringia today.

In Thuringia, the fascists got 33.5%, the conservatives 24.5%, Putin stooges 14.5%, former communists 11.5%, social democrats 6.5%.

In Saxony, conservatives 32%, fascists 31.5%, Putin stooges 11.5%, social democrats 7.5%, greens 5%.

Will be tough to form governments in both states as the other parties are not willing to govern with the fascists.

Josquius

There's a difference between fascists and Putin stooges?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Putin Stooges = Far Left (ex-SED) and a more left faction that split off from them
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on September 01, 2024, 11:16:35 AMThere's a difference between fascists and Putin stooges?
No.  The Stop the War coalition and the like are fascists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017